Using Custom Webviewer in templates

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:48 am
Hi All,

Thanks for a beautiful product. I am just about the to begin the process of integrating fmSpark with one of my projects but I have one question before I do:

Can custom webviewers be inserted in to the letters or Newsletter templates? I see that inline images are relatively easy, but how about situations where an image library is handled by a Ruby On Rails application (think functionality similar to SuperContainer). If necessary I could provide a function to download the images into a container field, but I was trying to make the process as simple as possible for my client.

Thanks,

Don
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:02 am
Hey Don,

Not sure I'm following you. Would the webviewer's display be "sent" with the letter or newsletter, or are you just using the webviewer as a tool to select images for the mailing?
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:48 am
They would be embedded in the letter or newsletter for printing. This is an inventory database for a NYC Art Gallery. They will often send new image announcements to a select list of contacts and will want to embed the image with a description.

If I were not using fmSpark, I would enable them to create reports and documents with the webviewer embedded for printing or saving to PDF. On the rails end, the code sets up the images into several predetermined sizes. I then give them web viewers that match the size for display.

I probably should have thought this through further before I posted, but my concern, and reason for writing the Rails app rather than using container fields is the database getting bogged down as many images are stored in the system. The letters and mailings that they create are going to be very image heavy ~ yet their internet connection is slower than I would like and the databases are hosted with a FMP hosting provider. I am just trying to plan for performance issues.

Thanks,

Don

Return to fmSpark