Manage Recipients FMP 10 Advanced

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:50 am
1.)
The fmSpark works well, but I am not sure that it performs correctly in FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced.

I have tried to look all over these forums and at fmSpark documentation and other place, but I didn't find anything.

I try to send mail, but when clicking Manage Recipients or Recipients all the recipients are crossed out. When I click on one of the recipients the list looks the same. The name is still there and crossed out. The only that changes is beside the Recipients; it says # out of # Contacts selected.

Is there way this could be changed? I never know who I clicked on or didn't.

2.)
Also, since SeedCode can categorize Companies from Contacts in those companies does that mean if I click on the company will the contacts in that company be mailed or just the company?
3.)
One more thing, there are a lot of contacts, so is there a way to make the recipients list shorter like in categories? For example, if I wanted to send it to half the people in the list.

Thank you in advanced. :)
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:54 am
IT_user wrote:1.) I try to send mail, but when clicking Manage Recipients or Recipients all the recipients are crossed out. When I click on one of the recipients the list looks the same. The name is still there and crossed out. The only that changes is beside the Recipients; it says # out of # Contacts selected.

Is there way this could be changed? I never know who I clicked on or didn't.

Hi there,

I don't think this is an FM10 thing. Rather, there is some conditional formatting on this field that I think you may have neglected to edit. If you look at this layout in layout mode (you may need to switch away from the Custom Menus to do this and select FileMaker's Standard Menus in Tools / Custom Menus) you can edit the conditional formatting on the recipient's name. It should look like this:

not MemberOf ( _Merge Batch::entityIDs ; _CONTACTS Recipients::Contact ID)

Where "Contact ID" is the name of the primary key in your contacts table.

IT_user wrote: 2.) Also, since SeedCode can categorize Companies from Contacts in those companies does that mean if I click on the company will the contacts in that company be mailed or just the company?

If you've hooked fmSpark to SeedCode Complete, it will send mail to the "found set" of contact records: depending on which records you've found that may be companies, contacts, or all the contacts for one company.

IT_user wrote: 3.) One more thing, there are a lot of contacts, so is there a way to make the recipients list shorter like in categories? For example, if I wanted to send it to half the people in the list.

Not easily. You'd probably want to do this on the contact's side by building two smaller found sets instead of one big one.

I hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:34 am
Thank you, I had to check. All of my questions were answered.

However, I have another.
When I mouse over the recipients name in the Manage Recipients it says: Error: Check Contacts Tooltip Calculation. Is this a problem?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:47 am
Not really, but there is a tool tip on that field which you should have edited in the same way as the conditional formatting.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:57 am
Ah, yes. I did that before to a practice copy and forgot to do it on the actual database, thanks.

Return to fmSpark