Starting label for printing is off by one

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:06 pm
When trying to print a single label, fmSpark generates one too many blank labels. For example, if I have sheet of labels that normally has 6 labels on it and I want to try to print on the second label, because the first one is used, the label that is printed on is the third label.
If I enter 1 for the starting label number is works great, one merge record is created. If I enter 2 for the starting label number, there are three merge records created (2 blank + 1 actual). This goes for any number I put in greater than 1, fmSpark generates 1 extra blank merge record.
The real problem is that I can print starting on that second label unless I delete the extra blank record before printing.
I can print on labels starting at 3 or more but it's a little counter intuitive to enter starting label number that is one less.

Is this an easy fix or am I just using this feature wrong?

Thank.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:43 am
Hey there; I think this is a bug.

Here's the fix.

In the script "cmd - merge messages" there is a "Set Variable" step that needs to be fixed.

In this script step we'll need to modify the calculation expression to subtract 1 from the starting label value.

That calculation is:

Let (
_string = Right ( SetPrecision ( 1/9; $startingLabelNumber ); $startingLabelNumber - 1 );
Substitute ( _string; "1"; "BLANK LABEL¶" )
)

Note that ¶ is the carriage return symbol.

This should fix the problem you've encountered. Let me know if this doesn't resolve the issue completely.

(Thanks to Corn Walker for figuring out this repair!)

- John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to fmSpark