Sending through Google's SMTP Servers

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:27 am
Hi John!

Having some difficulty here getting fmSpark to send a test email through our host (Google Apps) SMTP server. Specifically, I followed the page at Google (referenced from Dacon's site) that describes what settings to use:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287

I've tried a combination of ports and authentication methods and all return an -037 error.

The version of the plugin fmSpark installed is 3.0.11.b75 (Windows).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Adam Aronson
FullCity Consulting Inc.
http://www.fullcityconsulting.com
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:33 am
Hey Adam,

(Great to have you on board!)

We use gmail as our demo mail server, so it works with fmSpark and with the plugin. I think the trouble may be where you're editing your mail settings. This isn't the most intuitive part of fmSpark: mail isn't sent using the Default mail settings. Those are the default settings for newly created users.

Rather, mail is sent using the mail settings under the Users tab, grabbing the settings for the currently logged in user: probably "Admin" unless you've logged in as a different user. So try adding your settings to Settings / Users / Mail Account and let me know if you get through.

All the best,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:46 am
Thanks for the welcome, John! Careful about responding so quickly otherwise I may wear out my welcome.

Bingo! That did it. Thanks again, John! Next time I'll click around some more (or even read the documentation).

AA
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:53 am
LOL. Hey, think you'll be able to make it to Pause On Error in January? You'd really enjoy it!
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to fmSpark