Troubleshooting: Journal has multiple copies of sent email

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:14 pm
Just 'deployed' fmSpark today with email to 300 targets, and I was a bit surprised to see over 1200 entries in the Journal table. A closer look at the Journal table suggests that every individual in that batch received four to five copies of the email. This was not the case when I was testing with batches of 1-4 targets over the last week.

Is there a way I can troubleshoot on the database side to see if this was an FMP error (i.e., mine on this end)? On Monday I can talk with network people to see if I did, indeed, send 1200 emails this morning. But I'd rather know that this was an FMP error and that I didn't nail my targets with multiple copies of this email.

Thanks for whatever pointers people can share.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:00 am
As for pointers, I dont' know if this helps or not, but...

- I haven't heard this reported before.

- Could you have duplicate IDs in your contact's table? This could mean that emails sent to 4 distinct email addresses showed up in Journal under each contact record that shared the duplicate ID.

- The journal record is created within the script "cmd - post-send/print" in fmSpark.fp7 which calls a couple of subscripts. If you'd modified this script or its subscripts, you could be creating additional journal entries.

Let us know what you find.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:53 pm
John - Thanks for the reply. I'm sure this is user error of some sort. I need to track down the cause so it doesn't happen again (whatever it is that happened). My integration with fmSpark does not go beyond what is described in your instructions.

My ContactIDs are unique. The duplicate emails are all copies with different time stamps that are inside of a five minute window. From a sampling of the text in the journals, it appears that all messages are associated with the correct contact.

I haven't modified any script except for those the instructions directed me to for the purpose of integrating fmSpark with my contact database.

Thinking back to what I did when I was sending the batch, I merged the messages to my found set, sent a test message to myself, set the system from test to live mode, sent out three or four individual messages from the recipient list. Then when my computer didn't explore, I hit the button to send all the rest of the emails.

The journal data says that some recipients received 4 emails, some received 5.

Nothing like this happened when I tested emails going to my small team.

Perhaps we could continue this discussion by email and I can post updates here so others can learn from my mistakes.

Jason
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:00 pm
OK Jason. Send me an email (john at seedcode.com) and we'll flesh it out.

(And can you email me a pdf of the script in your file fmSpark is calling to write the journal entries? thanks)
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to fmSpark