FMSpark not remembering Live Mode

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:19 pm
I just deployed FMSpark for a small group of users, and we're using Live Mode for the first time. We're having problems with email merges and sending. The fields in the To and From are usually not merging, and we cannot send. The problem appears to be that the Mode button is showing "Mode" instead of "Test Mode" or "Live Mode". I can see that the send script checks the mode, which would explain the send problem.

If the user clicks Live Mode closes out and re-tries the merge, the merge fields work and the email is sent.

What can I do to make sure that Live Mode sticks?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:12 am
Hi Jonathan,

The button that toggles live mode on and off is just setting the global field "app::gmode" to either live or test. The fact that you are seeing just "Mode" in there means that the global isn't getting set to it's default of "Test." This should be occurring in the start up subscript:

open - set defaults/user record

So you may want to make sure that's happening correctly.

As far as pinning it to "Live" I would add the following script step to the end of the script:

cmd - merge messages

right before the last Exit Script [ Result: $lasterror ]

SetField [ _app::gMode ; "Live"]

to make sure it is set to Live mode when you land on the "Review Email" layout.

hth,

Jason
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:06 am
Thanks,
I did see after I posted that Test is the default mode. I verified that the Open scripts are un-modified, and contain the indicated steps.

I made the change to "cmd - merge messages" but no dice. Once the users have been set up in FMSpark, they don't generally open it directly. My file is executing a version of "Create Mailing for FoundSet ( templateKey* )" to deliver them the record the need merged into the template they need.

Does that change things?

Data Viewer says that if I use the link to Open the main FMSpark file, _gMode = "Test". But if FMSpark is closed, and I run "Create Mailing for FoundSet ( templateKey* )", it is null.

-jb
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:11 pm
Got it,

I think you want to have that opening routine run when the users open their file. What I've done, is to have my contacts file (or whatever) run the "Auto Startup" from FMSpark, when it opens. I would at least run " open - set defaults/user record" in FMSpark to make sure those globals get set before running any scripts. If you run the entire "Auto Startup," then you can add a close or hide window command to the end of it. Running only the " open - set defaults/user record" shouldn't open any FMSpark windows that would need to be hidden or closed.

I'd then change the default setting for gmode in the " open - set defaults/user record" script to "Live," and I think you should be good to go.

Hope this helps and let me know!
Jason
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:02 am
Thanks, thought this was working well. I opted to just run "open - set defaults/user record" but it turns out this by-passes plugin registration, so the users are getting the demo-mode popup for the plugin. I guess I should just Open the file hidden, and that should run the open script trigger and take care of it.

Thanks.

Return to fmSpark