fmSpark not remembering User

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:54 am
Hi John and Jason

I am having a funny problem: fmspark is sometimes not remembering the user or simply not identifying the user when a letter is created.

ie certain letters are restricted to a certain group of users and it works fine for a number of letters and suddenly fmspark doesn't recognize the user anymore. This happens within one day without closing/quitting filemaker or any related file and it seems to happen only to some users and only sometimes.

All users authenticate to all databases via external server group permissions, so there shouldn't be any problem. I haven't touched these group permissions for ages.

I run in the start up script of our main database the script "Open fmSpark () from fmSpark" to authenticate right at the beginning.

Any ideas what I can check/do to solve this?

Thanking you in advance.

Kind regards

Regine

PS: Have created over 77,000 letters/emails so far!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:20 am
Hi Regine,

Boy, not sure. Is the user wrong or empty?

The process is pretty simple, and just writes the Get (AccountName) to a global field (g_AccountName) to match with the user. I'd make sure there's no Auto-Login set on the FMSpark file, so folks have to go through the authentication process. The default is Admin, so make sure that's been disabled.

Screen Shot 2012-02-14 at 10.10.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-02-14 at 10.10.07 AM.png (52.7 KiB) Viewed 18498 times

The global field should persist through the whole session, so not sure how it's getting lost. Even if FMSpark is closed, when re-opening it should re-authenticate and write the value.

The User data itself lives in the FMSparkData file, so if that file can't be accesses for some reason, then the user data won't be available, so checking the log-in account settings on the data file might help as well. Here's a shot of the graph of how the global field is used in the relationship with Users to pull the data:

Screen Shot 2012-02-14 at 10.18.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-02-14 at 10.18.33 AM.png (48.7 KiB) Viewed 18498 times

Let me know if that helps,
Jason
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:30 am
Hi Jason

Thanks for the lengthy answer.

The user is actually empty when it doesn't work.
I have checked the fmSpark File Login settings and indeed we had there the tick for Administrator. Mayb this is were it gets confused sometimes, because it is not a permanent issue. I have removed the tick and will see, if this makes a difference and let you know.

Thanks

Regine
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:10 am
I think that might be it, but let us know.

Cheers!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:14 am
Sorry for the delay in confirming this.

I haven't heard anything from my clients about this, so I assume this has fixed the problem.

Thanks

Kind regards

Regine

Return to fmSpark