Connection reset -006 once per session

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:01 am
In each session in which I tried to send emails, I receive the connection reset -006 error message (after waiting some time). However, for the rest of the session, emails can be sent with ease.
Is it possible that I am missing a particular setting?
I have changed the SMTP address, I have tried another computer, I even upgraded to FileMaker 12.
Any help would be appreciated.
Mike Houlihan
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:24 pm
Hi Mike,

Unfortunately, that's a network error so I don't think the smtp settings will help. Mail It just lists it as a "Network Connection Problem."

If you use the regular FileMaker SMTP mail function, does that give you the same trouble? I know it can't do the rich e-mails like the plug-in, but could help in troubleshooting the SMTP issues.

Let me know if that helps.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:26 am
Jason,
The regular FileMaker SMTP mail function does work with no problems at all. The settings are exactly the same.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:25 am
Hi Mike,

Ok, unfortunately there's not much we can do to support the plug-in. You can check with Dacons on this issue, but since they've released later versions of the plug-in I'm not sure how much support they can give to 3, which is what Spark's bundled with. It is possible to have Spark work with a newer version of the plug-in which may resolve the issue and that's something we can help you with.

I do think that Mail It keeps a log in your documents folder. it might be worth checking that out as it may give more info as to why it's losing it's connection. The other thing I might try is the sample account that comes with FMSpark to see if it behaves any better. That could help narrow down whether it's related to an internal network issue or a provider issue.

Hope that helps,
Jason
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:45 am
Hi Jason,
I tried a few things. A quick look at the log file indicated:
Performing SSL negotiation
SSL connect: SSL_ERROR_SSL occured
Disconnected
Disconnected
Network exception caught in MIManager::EstablishSMTPConnection: SSL_ERROR_SSL occured
Connection result: -6

was repeatedly coming up.
I tried all of the example files with the same results.
I downloaded Version 5 of the plugin from Dacon and it worked on Filemaker 11 with no issues.
Unfortunately, fmSpark did not integrate with this when I open fmspark, I get the plug-in status as "something is rotten in the state of Denmark!"
how should I proceed?
Mike
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:21 am
Hi Mike,

If you've manually installed the new MailIt plugin, you'll need to disable all the plugin installation and checking code from fmSpark's start up script. You know the plugin was installed, so you don't need Spark to do it.

That should get you past "Denmark" =)

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:31 am
hi John,
I can easily get the new plug-in to work (MailIt 5), currently it is only free download trial and adds unwanted test to each email. Do you have a license code for this version or is it tied to the version 3?
Mike
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:39 pm
We do not have a license code for MailIt 5, fmSpark only comes licensed for MailIt 3. You'll need to get your own license if you'd like to use it with MailIt 5. Sorry about that.

- John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:47 am
John,
I now have a license code for version 5 of Mailit.
can you tell me specifically which scripts need to be altered and how?
Mike
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:12 pm
Add an Exit Script step as the first line of each of the following scripts:

register email plugin
cmd - install email plugin
check email plugin installation
install email plugin

Then add three lines to the beginning of the script "open - check email plugin [show dialogs]"

1. Set the variable $$pluginInstallError to 0
2. Set the variable $$pluginRegError to 0
3. Exit script.

(That will take fmSpark out of the plugin registration and installation business so you'll need to install and register the plugin yourself.)
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to fmSpark