Two page letter

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:27 am
Hello,

Testing out fmSpark. Currently creating new single page letters works great, but I don't see specific documentation on multi-page letters. I can extend the text of the letter across multiple pages. I am not sure how fmSpark deals with the header, however. Any layout with Header body part prints the header on each page. Is there documentation how to retain a header on the first page, but not subsequent pages? A Title Header will print only on the first page, but if you are printing to multiple recipients these appear to be treated as additional pages and the Title Header appears only on first page of first recipient, and not on any subsequent pages.

Thanks,
Anders
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:09 am
Hey Anders!

Sorry for not quite following this, but don't you just need to make the body part longer on the fmSpark letter layout?
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:36 pm
Hi John, I have a letter template with a header part where the Image appears. This uses the existing template layout. I duplicated the layout and made the body part longer so it spans two pages. However, when I preview this the Image in the header part also shows up on page 2. Hope that helps.

Anders

P.S. Changing the header to Title Header works as long as there is just one record, but when printing letters to multiple recipients in one batch means only the first recipient gets a header. Not sure if it's possible to suppress the header on non-first pages.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:01 pm
Gotcha; am I right that changing this to a title header then means you get funkiness when you run a batch? ie it only shows up for the first letter?
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:36 am
Right. With Title Header part running a batch shows the image only for the first letter. With Header part the image appears for all pages. Not sure if its possible to suppress something for the second page w/ fmSpark or if this is an FMP limitation.

Thanks,
Anders
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:45 am
I don't think we can do anything about this in Spark. Outside of Spark we'd run the print one at a time in a loop, but in Spark I think you need a design where you have the same header on every page.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:35 pm
Ok, that's what I thought after some investigation. Thanks for confirming.

Anders

Return to fmSpark