Speed Questions

Questions and suggestions for the CC Calendar product.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:17 am
Hello,

I got the announcement on FMPro ListServ and am considering purchasing the
pro version.

My main question is that I notice the free calendar, with just 1 month's
sample data, used locally on a 400 mhz iMac G3, is a bit sluggish in moving from 1 month to another. (approx 3 seconds) Is the pro version, being more complex, even slower? What happens when you get a year's worth of appts in it? Does the speed degrade noticeably?

My client will probably use it in a very similar machine. I don't think
they'll want to get a new mac at this time.

Thanks for your prompt response. I would like to recommend/or not to my client this morning. Your announcement came in at a very opportune time.

Jannah Riemer
Jannah Riemer Mac Consulting and Database Development

Ps I notice one of your offices is in Ypsi. Not far from where I was born in
Ann Arbor, and raised, in Saline. Greetings!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:34 am
I got the announcement on FMPro ListServ and am considering purchasing the pro version. My main question is that I notice the free calendar, with just 1 month's sample data, used locally on a 400 mhz iMac G3, is a bit sluggish in moving from 1 month to another. (approx 3 seconds)

That is about right and you are correct to imply that a faster client cpu would improve this. FileMaker is a client-side processor in almost all cases.

Is the pro version, being more complex, even slower?

The pro version is a hair slower because it is displaying an additional field in the month view: the color coding for the appointment. This color is *not* an unstored field, though, so the speed difference between the versions is negligible, in my opinion.

What happens when you get a year's worth of appts in it? Does the speed degrade noticeably?

Well you're only looking at one month at a time, so an increase in records won't affect the speed of the month display, though it would affect the speed of unstored finds you might perform manually, as it would in any FileMaker database. We've been using the calendar internally for 3 years with no speed degradation.

You will, however, notice a speed difference when you serve the files as opposed to using them locally. In a served setting the appointments file comes over the network (as do the appointment colors). The CCCalendar.fp5 file, however is not served so its interface doesn't come over the wire, making the calendar run as fast as possible in a multi-user setting.

At the end of the day, the month view is just doing a lot of work: its sorting 42 portals worth of related records and that takes a couple secs. Turning the sort off for these relationships does speed them up, as does removing the red arrows which let you know if there are more than 5 records for a given day (more records than display on the month view). In both cases, I think the speed gained is not worth it, but if you disagree you're free to make those changes and see what you think. You can try both modifications on the free version to see how the speed improves.

My client will probably use it in a very similar machine. I don't think they'll want to get a new mac at this time.

We all "want" to get a new Mac. ;-)

Ps I notice one of your offices is in Ypsi. Not far from where I was born in Ann Arbor, and raised, in Saline. Greetings!

Greetings (former) neighbor!

Return to CC Calendar (FM6)