Mini Calendar Updates Slowly

Questions and suggestions for the CC Calendar product.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:21 pm
Have you guy considered improving the performance of your mini-calendar? I can see each day of the month getting rendered on the mini-calendar just about any time a button is pushed.

I have this similar mini-calendar that so much faster than yours. See the link below.

It is probably a tradeoff between look and performance, but I would rather my calendar app be responsive over beautiful.

http://www.briandunning.com/filemaker-calendar/
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:26 pm
Ross MacGregor wrote:It is probably a tradeoff between look and performance, but I would rather my calendar app be responsive over beautiful.

Understandable. We all draw the line between speed and beauty in our own way. Fortunately you can change the calendar to work as you see fit.

The mini calendar has two "optional" components you can remove to speed it up. The first involves the small blue dots that indicate the presence of appointments on those days. As mentioned in our FAQ, you can either remove these, or tinker with the relationships behind them so that they no longer respect the calendar's portal filtering (the blue dots change to reflect only appointments that match the current filter criteria).

The second objects to remove are the background calcs which color days in the active month white and other days light blue. On the Full and Pro versions you can easily remove these from the 1st and 3rd of the mini calendars- as those would never turn white anyway. In the center mini calendar, these calcs are also the ones that turn the selected day green. You can dispense with that if you wish, or create a new calc that just does the green part of this one. (Don't edit the current calc as it is also used as the background of the month and year views.)

Removing these background calcs makes the mini calendars about as fast as possible.

(Note. Depending on which version of the calendar you have, both of the items mentioned above might not be present. For instance, there are no blue dots on the free calendar. Furthermore, the background image may be formatted as button in some versions; simply transfer the button function to the day number and you're all set.)
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:17 pm
Thanks, I'll try these tweaks.

Return to CC Calendar (FM6)