Validations?

Questions and suggestions for the CC Calendar product.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:54 pm
I set up CCalendar for use with my staff. I modified Appointments.fp5, adding a few more fields, and created Value Lists for several fields. CalendarUtility.fp5 uses those value lists in Pop-up lists.

The idea was to limit entries to our established set of services. Of course, I didn't think through the fact that CalendarUtility.fp5 uses Globals.

So, my staff has already begun to enter all sorts of odd appointments, ignoring the Pop-up list. Is there any way to set up validations so that users are restricted to the Value Lists that I set up?

Thanks.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:09 am
Carlitos wrote:So, my staff has already begun to enter all sorts of odd appointments, ignoring the Pop-up list. Is there any way to set up validations so that users are restricted to the Value Lists that I set up?

Sure. The simplest way might be to switch to pop-up menus (instead of lists) which are harder for users to just type data into. But if you don't like the way they behave you can attach validation to your global fields.

As you know, FileMaker 5-6 won't let you validate globals naturally (FileMaker 7 does- as well as providing auto enter, calc, and lookup options) but you can work around this. Redefine your global fields as plain old text fields and assign validation to them. Then switch them back to global fields and the validation will persist.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to CC Calendar (FM6)