Results context header behavior

Support, Tips and Mods for Matt Navarre's SearchResults technique.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:14 am
I just installed fmSearch Results for SeedCodeComplete on FMS. For the most part, things appear to be working pretty well, except I would like the clicking of the Context Header to provide the search group for a given Form View layout. When I click on the headers, the first header (Contacts) provides only the first contact of the list (i.e. 1/527 records). When I click on the other 2 contexts that I have created thus far, it does nothing. All other behavior looks right.

Any thoughts?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:50 pm
Hi James,

Thanks for your post. You're seeing the default behavior (this is how the demo performs, for example). If you want to see all the results for a given context, click the "and XX more..." at the bottom of the context. If that's not what you're looking for, please send some more details and we'll figure it out.

(note, we're closed then 22nd and 23rd for the Thanksgiving holiday.)

Best,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:33 pm
Thanks for the info, John,
As you well know, the results only generates the statement "...and ## more <context header title>" if there more than a certain number (10 = default setting, I believe) of results.

In instances when there are fewer than the ResultLimit, one has to click on them one at a time.

I need some advice as to how I go about setting it up such that clicking on the context header itself always yields the same result as clicking on "...and ## more <context header title>". This, of course, would be especially helpful when there are fewer results than the ResultLimit setting.

Also, I don't want to simply reduce the ResultLimit variable to force the " and more " statement because it's handy to have the result list on the side.

Each Context Header appears to be clickable: when hovering over the context header, the pointer turns into a hand and clicking momentarily highlights the entire line of text in the header. However, clicking yields nothing useful: for the first results subheading (Contacts heading), it yields the firs record of the list. for the subsequent subheadings, it does nothing.

Hope that clarifies the problem.

Best regards,
James
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:53 pm
Hi James,
Clicking the headers is not functionality that is built into FMSearchResults. I think the fact that the first row takes you anywhere is actually a bug. If you make a copy of your file and go into layout mode in the search layout you can unlock the objects and see that there is a few stacked fields and some invisible buttons covering those. Each invisible button has a script parameter that represents the row number. Somehow the top one has a parameter of 2 when I think it should be 1.

As far as changing the behavior goes, if you would like us to make that customization for you we could probably do that as a modification. If you are interested in that you could email us at [email protected] and we can start the process. We charge $170 an hour and I would think we could have that done in under 2 hours.

If you want to tackle it yourself you would need to edit the "Create Result Lines" script.
You would need to edit the correct repetition in the "SR_ResultTable" field to contain the table number (the table number that FMSearchResultsUses) and then make sure that the matching repetition in the "SR_ResultLink" field is empty. When I refer to "matching repetition" I am talking about the row that was clicked. It is very helpful to view those fields on the search layout and show all the repetitions, you can align them with the current rows on the layout to get an idea of what they are used for.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:35 pm
Much thanks, Tanner,
I'll give it a shot.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:46 pm
Does one need Advanced to do this...couldn't find any locked objects (running FMP12)?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:54 am
I might have had the objects locked on my copy because it was not a freshly downloaded copy (some changes might have been made to my layouts).

You will not need advanced to do what we are talking about although it will make it much easier as you can use the script debugger to step through scripts and see what they are doing. It makes it much easier to dive into someone else's work.

As far as the layout goes you just need to see how the repeating fields are on there with a button overlay. So make a copy of your file and pull that layout apart to see how it is put together.

Return to fmSearchResults