Can fmSearchResults do this?

Support, Tips and Mods for Matt Navarre's SearchResults technique.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:16 pm
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a developer license of fmSearchResults and was curious how others have implemented this scenario in their solutions and/or if this is possible.

I have layouts that contain a number of portals to display data. A user can click on an individual row to have a detailed pop-up layout for modifying data and see all of the fields. If a user does a search, how can I get them to the main layout and then to the pop up? If not, how do other users display the data without having to create another special layout?

I hope I've been able to explain this clear enough.

Thanks,

Stephen
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:10 pm
Hi,

The quick answer is that when you click on a result in fmSpark, it performs a find for that record (or for it's parent record) and goes to a layout. So if these pop-ups are their own layout then they would / could come up on their own (though you wouldn't have navigated to the parent record first).

But the real answer is that fmSpark is an unlocked FileMaker file and if you're creative you can get it to do *almost* anything.

Can you post a screen shot of one of these parent/pop-up layouts?
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:50 pm
Hello John,

Thanks for the quick response. I have attached a sample layout showing on the main screen an area where you would see a list of receipts with the basic info in a portal. Then the green header window is actually a data entry pop-up window to make modifications or when the user creates the new entry. As you can see it does have it's own layout, but it is completely isolated from the actual main work window which contains navigation, etc. So I am trying to figure out how to represent the search results in a way that the user can navigate to and review the data without having to create multiple search results windows.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Thanks,

Stephen
Attachments
Layout Screen Shot.png
Layout Screen Shot.png (245.67 KiB) Viewed 19457 times
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:30 pm
Nice looking stuff. Arriving at the green pop-up window after clicking on a search result is easy: just specify that layout when you config SearchResults. If you won't want to show search results in a new window, that's easy too: edit the script "Search" and you'll see a comment about half way down for showing results in a new window.

What *may* be tricky is showing your green window in a pop-up if your results are shown in the main app. To do that, edit the script "Integration Settings" and place a New Window command before the relevant GoToLayout step for those layouts that should pop into their own window (this section is after the comment "Change each of the Go To Layout steps below...").

Let me know if I've misunderstood what you're trying to do.

- John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:01 pm
Wow, that was fast and thanks for the detailed instructions! I want to get fmSearchResults and integrate it to my solution since I think my users will love it!

Kind regards,

Stephen

Return to fmSearchResults