Constraining found sets using "," separation?

Support, Tips and Mods for Matt Navarre's SearchResults technique.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:50 pm
I've integrated search results into one of our apps and I'm really liking it so far. However, my users are wanting to be able to constrain a found set using comma delimited terms. So they could search for Kent, Powerlite and the results will show all Kent orders for Powerlite products. Currently the search looks for Kent or Powerlite instead of Kent and Powerlite. Is this possible? Thanks!
jared
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:43 am
Hi Jared,
Search Results doesn't work that way. What you want sounds more like a traditional Filemaker find where they specify which data to search in which fields. Search Results is always going to do an "Or" search because without specifying the field you want to do an "And" in you would get pretty poor results.

You could do a standard Search Results find and then navigate to the table you wanted to show your results in and do a constrain there, although this might be better suited for some type of "Advanced Search" layout that let your users search in the fields that they wanted rather than a google style search.

Hope that helps,

Tanner

Return to fmSearchResults