Filemaker Server, or Server Advanced?

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:16 am
Hello John and forum:

I apologize in advance for posing a question that probably belongs in some other forum on some other website, but I've Googled myself silly trying to find that elusive grail, and am hoping you can cut through the haze and gimme a simple answer:

Situation: I use Filemaker Pro 11 Advanced to edit and to host my solution on my iMac. I access the solution in my office using FM Network, and access it remotely using SeedCode IWP/FM IWP.

Now I understand that to incorporate Zulu, I need to "upgrade" my FM to FM Server or Server Advanced. I'd like to spend $999 and not $1999 (or whatever) to do so.

(So here is the) Question: If I purchase Filemaker Server and not Server Advanced, will I be able to use my current copy of Filemaker Pro 11 Advanced to modify my solution's layouts and scripts, then upload that solution into Server?

Thanks in advance for your patience and sympathy!

Yours,
Jim Recht
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:38 am
Hey Jim,

So yes: you can use FMPA to modify your solution and host it on FMS (FileMaker Server). You do not need FMSA (FileMaker Server Advanced) to use Zulu.

However, in your case you're using IWP, so you'd need FMSA if you want your served files to be available both to iCal and IWP. It is FMSA that lets you use IWP with server.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker