Timezone or BST issue

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:07 am
Using Zulu iCal Server every entry I add appears an hour earlier in iCal on my iPad or iPhone. Both the start and end date are one hour earlier.

I'm assuming this is something to do with BST/GMT and have switched of Timezone support in my devices as suggested in the documentation but to no effect.

All other records date and times within Filemaker are exactly correct.

I've now, created a caldav calendar connection on my mac as opposed to just iPhone and iPad. The same time shift exists except, when I drag the entry from one day on my mac calendar to another day the time corrects. However, viewing the now corrected entries on my iPhone and iPad still show them are being scheduled an hour earlier.

If I delete the appointment (or enter 1 in the delete field) refresh, then remove the 1 and refresh all devices show the time shift and are wrong.

Where can I look for a solution?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:13 am
Hi there. Sorry for not replying sooner!

As you probably know, we had a timezone bug in an earlier version of Zulu. When we repaired it however it looks like we left some of the compensating code in place so we were overcompensating for those folks closer to GMT.

I've uploaded a new build of Zulu (http://www.seedcode.com/downloads) that fixes this.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:37 pm
Hi,

I'm having the same problem as Kobyashi, ie my events appear one hour earlier. I've checked that download link and that's the version I have installed (the files are all dated 14th October, on both versions). Are you sure the new version is online?

Thanks,
James Chiswell Jones
(Lead FileMaker Developer, igeek Ltd)
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:00 am
Hi James,

Our latest build is 0.994 and you can check your version at youripaddress:8040/zulu (leaving the :8040 out if you're using the servlet version).

This build fixed a days-off problem we had in some timezones, but we still have this hour-off problem east of the US. We're working on this and hope to have a fix soon. (this will just require reinstalling the plugin, you won't need to change your FileMaker files)

I'll post here as soon as we have something.

- John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:23 am
HI John,

Thanks for the update. I just checked our version (0.992), went to the download link;

http://www.seedcode.com/downloads/downloads.php

Downloaded it again and re-installed, but it still says 0.992 :/

Is that the latest version? How can I get 0.994?

FYI I have paid for the enterprise version (it's registered under igeek Ltd).

Thanks,
James
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:43 am
Hi James,

Are you using the plugin or servlet version?

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:52 am
Hi John,

It's Servlet.

regards,
James
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:26 am
Hi John,

In fact I accidently had both installed. I've now fixed that and confirmed that I am running 0.995 of servlet (I also had 0.992 plugin, hence the confusion);

http://93.93.128.17/zulu

However, I still have the issue. If I create an event in Filemaker (despite Time Zone support being off) the time displays in ical one hour earlier than it should.

regards,
James
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:49 am
I can confirm this behaviour, server running 0.995 of Zulu and 10.6.4 OS, Time Zone support in iCal on and off. Zone is British Summer Time if that helps troubleshoot.

However if I change anything to do with the event in iCal it updates Filemaker with the time from iCal.

It is a one-way problem. I have even made sure the 'closest city' in the Time Zone System prefs is the same on both client and server

Tim
----------------------
Tim Anderson Group
Scotland

http://www.timanderson.co.uk
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:14 am
We're working on it guys and should have an update soon. Thanks for the details!
John Sindelar
SeedCode
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:10 am
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know we have a new build of Zulu (996) that fixes this one-hour-off timezone issue. You can download this at http://www.seedcode.com/downloads

Instructions for installing the new version can be found here:

http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... NewVersion

Hope that is good news,

John

Update: 31 Oct, 2010 Looks like I spoke to soon and we're still seeing some issues with this from folks using using Apple Europe (time.euro.apple.com) as their time sever. We're looking at this again and should have an update soon.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:43 am
Hi John

Any joy on a fix?

Just to recap, if I create an event in iCal it appears in FileMaker with the correct time. If I refresh iCal, then it retains the correct time both in FM and in iCal. If I edit the event in FM, as soon as I refresh in iCal, both start and end times lose 1 hr in iCal but the times in FM usually stay the same (ie they don't lose an hour).

Another issue we have is that one of our clients is in New Zealand whilst we're in the UK (as is the server which is set to UK time). Any events they create default to UK time (regardless of whether Timezone support is enabled / disabled) which is obviously not what we're after.

1. We're using a Mac mini with iCal server.
2. All attached machines are Macs with Timezone Support in iCal set to off (though switching it on gets the same results).
3. We all have the same Time Zone (GMT) aside from the New Zealand client.
4. We have tried enabling / disabling "Set time zone automatically..." on all machines.

Any thoughts? I know that the iCal Time Zone issue has a lot of people up in arms (I'm not talking about Zulu here, I'm referring to iCal in general) so this is quite likely to be mixed up with that issue, but have you any ideas on a fix?

Cheers - Jon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:53 am
John - Is there any way to allow events created in FM Zulu to be set to "Floating" and to not inherit the Time Zone of the server?

For example, if I set Time Zone Support on in iCal, then create an event (in iCal) and set the Time Zone for the event to floating, it will appear correctly (at least it has done so far) in both iCal and FM.

It's a pest of course as there is no way (that I am aware of) to set iCal events to default to floating from within iCal but it is a solution of sorts.

Any ideas?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:12 am
Hi Jon,

So I don't know if we can do floating times, but we're going to look at it. Our next build fixes some more of these timezone issues, but as you know, it is tricky stuff.

The next build (maybe a week or two out) includes the server-side offset I mentioned and improves the timezone code.

Email me directly and I'll get you a preview of this build so we can see if your 1-hour-off issue is resolved. (john at seedcode.com)

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:38 am
This has been ongoing for a little while now and I'm wondering if I should look elsewhere for a solution. This looked so promising and I'd really like to stick with it but costs and client pressure are making it difficult to do so. I rather hoped that there's be some respite with the change from BST but this wasn't the case.

I haven't installed build 996 because you posted an update to say it wasn't fixed and now don't know how long I might need to wait for a resolution.

What's your advice?
Next

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker