Creating new fields in the "Events" table.

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:21 am
Hello and happy new year to everyone !!

I would like to ask how I can safely add new custom fields in my Events table (the equivalent of your ZuluSampleEvents table). I think I can add new fields after the Publish button(and process) has been done but I want to make sure for the future.

If I correctly understood, I have to use a prefix for the name of my custom field (i.e.: "X-"). So, my custom field would be "X-ProjectPhaseId_NK". I guess the Publishing process won't look these prefixed fields. Am I correct ?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:54 am
Hey there. Sorry for the confusion, but iCal won't understand your custom fields (you can't publish them to iCal) but we included the "X-" syntax in case we're able to do this down the road.

For now, if you need to get some additional information into iCal (additional fields) you need to add them to the event description via an auto-enter calc on the description field (or a new field now becoming your description field).

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:14 am
Thanks John for the usual quick reply !
Actually, I don't want to create new fields in iCal. I'm fine with the way it is working and I understand this is another software product.

No, I want to add a new FileMaker field in the Events table but Zulu doesn't seems to like when a developer plays with this table. I simply want to add a key in this Events table to point each Event records to the project phase they belongs to. Is there a problem with the way I want to implement this relation ?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:20 am
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you can define as many fields as you want in the Events table(s) mapped to Zulu: just don't add them to the field mapping layout, and don't turn any of the already-mapped fields into calcs.

Does that help?
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:43 am
Thanks John! It was the cause of my problem. When I added my custom fields to the Zulu's mapped layout, iCal (and Publish button I think) were sending error messages. I understand this is the same concept as Layouts used for XSL, PHP and any other FM-XML based utilization. So, I won't touch the mapped layout anymore. :roll:

BTW, it is a good idea to bundle every needed fields inside a single tab-control. it is easy to copy, paste and use. :D

Another thing I figure out is that the zulu_UUID field will be processed (automatically filled) only if the Event's dates are included inside the time range specified in the calendar record of the Calendar list table. This was another problem resolved this morning.

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker