Google Syncing on Zulu. Deletes dont work.

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:23 am
Hi John,
I have been working with the syncing portion of the calendar. Right now I am monitoring the syncs on manual syncing so that I can see the log. While the sync works in general ok, I seem to be having a problem keeping a reasonable sync between Google and Filemaker. I am going to try to detail in this thread issues as they arise. The main issue that I have now is the following. I create an event in filemaker. Zulu then syncs it to Google. It is clearly on the Google calendar no problem. I then delete it from the Google calendar and run the manual sync on Zulu. In the log it notes the deletions with the record number crossed out. When I go back into the events file in filemaker, the record is still there however Zulu will no longer sync any changes with that record. Its as if that Zulu no longer feels the record exists although it still does exist in the events file.

Any idea what is happening.

Paul
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:25 am
I guess my question is, why didn't Zulu delete the record as it stated in the log and since it didn't why does it no longer sync an future changes to the record.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:33 am
Sounds like things are working; what's happening is that we "tag" the record as being deleted in FileMaker (by putting a 1 in the "deleted" field) but don't actually delete it. Of course, you can write a server side script actually delete the record if you'd like (to kill all the records with a "1" in deleted). You can read more about this here: http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... tingEvents

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:21 pm
Yup, that works. Be nice if those records could be shown as crossed out on the calendar views. Then after some oversight the delete script could be set off by the Super.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:49 pm
John,
There are records in the filemaker Events database that for some reason google just wants to ignore. I have looked at all the "zulu_" fields in the events database and it appears that there is no field that is impeding this. What I did notice is that the records that Google chose to ignore originally had this in the zulu_ical field:
"BEGIN:VCALENDAR
PRODID:-//360Works//FMCalDAV 1.2//EN
VERSION:2.0
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:20110202T192655Z
UID:uo0hhnhaop7ck659503rotccrggoogle.com
CREATED:20110202T132301Z
DESCRIPTION:Test2
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20101208
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20101209
SUMMARY:MikeB 910278 2800 Perimeter Park Asphalt Restoration
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR
"
Along with a uuid that looks like this:
"uo0hhnhaop7ck659503rotccrggoogle.com"

I blanked out both these fields hoping that google would then now sync these records but nothing seems to revive the record for the sync. In other words the record is a legitimate event in the events file with no apparent impediments to the google sync but it will not sync to Gmail.

Is there something I am missing. I think this is the last piece of my puzzle.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:47 pm
I'd guess that these records have a "1" in the deleted field, but you may have already checked that. The events may not have a value in their ID field (the FileMaker ID, not the Zulu UUID). The only other reason an event won't show up is if your access privileges (your FileMaker account and password) don't permit you to see it.

If it isn't any of those things, email me (support at seedcode.com) and we'll do a screen share to figure it out.

If you've really been playing around (creating and deleting lots of calendars) you might just want to do a reset of the Google sync: http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... oogleReset
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:36 am
I figured it out. DateEnd had and old date in it that was before DateBegin. This will force gmail(or Zulu) to reject that record.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:44 am
Excellent! (I've added a note to our troubleshooting docs to look for that if you see individual events not showing up.) - Thanks.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker