Using a summary field for iCal

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:55 pm
Hi,
Loving Zulu, particularly being able to easily access our diaries on our iPhones when we're out and about.

I'm summarising several fields (event address, event description, project name, project contact, status and type) to a single iCal summary field for Zulu.
I'm using set field to concatenate the data, target field iCalSummary which I'm using in Zulu;

Set Field [CalendarEventsContacts::CompanyName & " " & CalendarEvents::Type & " " & CalendarEvents::Description & " " & CalendarEventsContacts::NameFull_FirstLast & " " & CalendarEventsContacts::Phone]

Everything is hunky dory if each and every one of those fields has some data in it. If someone forgets to set a status or type the event doesn't show up on iCal.

Any help appreciated - thanks
Rob
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:48 am
Hi Robert,

I'm not sure why that would be. You're using a script to set a value to a text field: iCalSummary, and you have that field mapped to the summary on the zulu field mapping layout. Is that correct?

You may want to make sure the zulu_ModifiedTimestamp field is getting triggered when you run your set field script, as that's what tells Zulu to refresh the event in iCal, etc.

If the field looks correct in FileMaker, then it should come across that way in iCal. If it was some kind of invalid entry, I'd think it would throw an error rather than just coming across blank.

Is it possible you have filters set up that are relying on type or status, that could prevent them from showing up as well if those filter values are blank.

Let me know if any of that helps,

-Jason
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:37 am
JasonYoung wrote:You're using a script to set a value to a text field: iCalSummary, and you have that field mapped to the summary on the zulu field mapping layout. Is that correct?

Yep. The script was running on On Exit script triggers in the event detail window. I'm thinking that if fields don't get entered (and hence exited) the script won't run.
I've now included my event summary script in the CloseWindow and Refresh Calendar script. I think that has improved things. Events created on the event tab of the project layout still don't show in iCal though and I can't seem to successfully trigger my event summary script from anything there. It's late so I'll give the brain a rest and try tomorrow :)

Thanks for your other suggestions. The only thing I'd changed was the creation of the event summary field, the mapping of that field to the summary field in the zulu data and the addition of the script to populate it. The missing events in iCal simply had no data in the related Zulu summary field pointing to failure of the script.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:42 am
Hi Robert,

You may want to try an auto enter calculation / replaces existing value rather than a script trigger. You can un-check: Don't evaluate if all fields are empty, and then editing any of the referenced fields should trigger the field to calculate.

Cheers,
-Jason

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker