Country Codes

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:26 am
With Jason's (off-list) help I've been getting the Google Contact sync setup. However, I've run into a snag with country codes and related addresses that I thought was worth 'sharing with the group'...

When syncing, I get an error like this:

Code: Select all
com.google.gdata.util.InvalidEntryException: Bad Request Invalid country code: Germany

To get around this, I changed the 'Country' value in the record concerned to "DE" instead (the country code for Germany). This then sync'ed to Google ok. So I thought, what happens if I change it back to Germany in Google? (something that users are likely to do). I did this and synced again. Instead of failing or changing the country back to Germany, the sync caused a foreign key in the related address record to be deleted! This field isn't even present on the ZuluRelatedAddr layout, so I am not sure why this happened...

I've also tried using 'Germany' in the 'main' Country field that is mapped on the 'ZuluContacts' layout. When I synced this field was not carried over to Google at all.

I suspect I'm doing something wrong, but wondered if anyone else had experienced similar problems?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:55 am
Update:

I've just tried this with the ZuluContacts_SampleData file and the same thing happens (apart from removing the other foreign key field). It errors when 'Germany' is entered in the Country field of the related address record, works ok when 'DE' is entered. When 'DE' is changed back to 'Germany' in Google it sticks in Google but clears the field in Filemaker.

The country field in the main ZuluContacts table does not appear to map to Google at all.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:39 am
Hi Matt,

Thanks for posting this. I'm seeing the same thing here. I need to dig a little deeper, but it looks like the primary Country not mapping might be a bug on our end. But, it does look like the Google API only supports the two digit country codes.

I'll follow up here when I've confirmed.

Thanks,
-Jason
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:09 am
Hi,

So, Google does only support the two digit country codes for both the primary and related addresses. We'll have the mapping for the primary address corrected in the next build which should be out shorty,

Thanks!

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker