Zulu Calendars and Lion

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:14 pm
Hi All,

Wanted to let you know that we're testing a new build that we hope will resolve the iOS 5 and Lion issues. I'll post more when we have some more results.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:29 pm
Update: We are in the process of testing the new build, and so far all is looking good. More to come...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:09 am
I wanted to report another issue. This is regarding the third party app BusyCal, an iCal substitute that allows for grouping of server calendars in a way that the lion version of iCal does not. This feature alone makes Busy Cal an excellent substitute for iCal

The issue is that BusyCal can connect to the zulu calday calendar and download all of the calendar items. Subsequent additions and changes to the calendar events in filemaker to do not update in busy cal. The caldav connection has to be deleted and recreated to refresh the calendars.

I realize that SeedCode may not be able support a third party app like this, however I have lined up a client of mine to purchase Zulu and this may be a deal breaker for him as he is very partial to using BusyCal.

I may need to guide my client in the direction of using a version of the seedcode calendar, but want to do what I can to support his use of BusyCal

Darren
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:57 am
Hi Darren,

We're seeing the same thing you are with BusyCal, even in the new Lion optimized build of Zulu we're testing. We can take a look at the differences in the way BusyCal requests notifications and see if there is something we can do to accommodate but if it is anything like the changes we needed to make for Sunbird it won't make it into this release. I'll let you know what we find.

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:12 am
John,

I actually found a kludgy workaround for busycal that will perhaps shed some light on the cause of this issue.

Rather than deleting and reconnecting to the CalDav server, I can just remove the trailing forward slash in the address:
http://server.fsm.private/zulu/calendars/FSM/
becomes
http://server.fsm.private/zulu/calendars/FSM

The calendars will then reload and new events will download. Of course, from then on new and changed events won't load. Just add the forward slash back in and it reloads the events again.

Darren Burgess
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:19 am
Hi Darren,

Interesting, as iCal and iOS5 don't like it without that last slash at all. I'll add this info to the ticket.

Thanks!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:28 am
Some good news on the Lion front: we have a new version of Zulu out (1.303) that now works great with iCal in Lion (and with your iOS 5 calendars as well). Creating a new Zulu account in iCal is a piece of cake... providing you remember to put http:// in front of your IP address.

You can download the new version here: http://www.seedcode.com/downloads

If you're using Zulu with iOS 5 devices, you'll need to delete and recreate your CalDAV account for Zulu on your device.

A big thanks to everyone for their patience, and to our testers for confirming that this all works.

- John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:26 am
John Sindelar wrote:Creating a new Zulu account in iCal is a piece of cake... providing you remember to put http:// in front of your IP address.

If you're using Zulu with iOS 5 devices, you'll need to delete and recreate your CalDAV account for Zulu on your device.

Still got some problems here though. I upgraded Zulu. Creating a Zulu account in iCal wasn't a problem, however the account doesn't work. In the calendar list it looks like the image below.

And as for Zulu on iOS 5 devices, mine refused to create new accounts.

Neither iCal under Lion nor iOS 5 accepted that I include http:// in front of my IP address.
Attachments
Untitled.tiff
Untitled.tiff (14.32 KiB) Viewed 39526 times
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:13 am
Hi Geoffrey,

Sorry to hear that. I think what you're seeing isn't a problem with Zulu and Lion, but a continuation of some of the problems we've seen with you file before: bad primary keys, permissions issues, etc. I'll send you an email directly with some ideas for your specific situation.

Best,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:48 am
Hi John,
Since Lion I can no longer get my ical calendars from Filemaker through Zulu.
Establishing a connection with the CalDav server is not a problem: I receive most of the calendars of the different users, but then the sync suddenly stops giving an error.
I have tried to deal with it in several ways: deleting and reinstalling the server connection, deleting the ical plist files, deleting and reinstalling the Zulu users, trying with Busycal, reinstalling the whole Lion operating system, I always get the same error code.
On my iPad and iPhone it all works and syncs fine.
One of my co-workers (NVR) is also using Lion and can connect to the server and sync without any problem.
I am out of ideas to get this solved.
Hendrik Roos
Error500.png
Zulu and Filemaker no longer on speaking terms
Error500.png (216.15 KiB) Viewed 39468 times
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:10 pm
Hi Hendrik,

Which version of Zulu are you running? We're at 1.307, so want to make sure you're on the latest.

Thanks!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:01 pm
I downloeded and tested with the latest version, just before I posted my message on thursday.
Apparently my collegue , also using Lion, gets the same error code.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:49 am
Hi Hendrik,

Thanks, and hope you had a nice Weekend. From what we've tested, 1.307 should resolve all the OS specific issues. So we might be looking at something else. iOS5 errors might be occurring, but don't let you know explicitly like they do on in OSX. My guess is that you'd get the same error in Snow Leopard, but if you can confirm that, that would be great.

iCal errors show up in two places. They won't let you create the account, or when the calendar is created and tries to refresh. It look like it's the latter so their might be something going on with the file. We've got some steps to check here (Is It Your File?), but the ones I see most often are:

• Certain data issues can cause iCal Calendars to not refresh properly. Common issues are having an End Date with no Start Date, or an End Date before the Start Date.
• The URL field is also very sensitive, and characters like spaces and carriage returns can cause refresh problems, Make sure a valid URL is in this field.

http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... leshooting

Publishing and testing our sample file is also a good way to determine if the issue is file/data specific.

Let me know if that helps,
Jason
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:20 pm
I hope and think my problem has been resolved.
I have been able to isolate the event that was causing the problem by narrowing down first on a user level, then by reducing the syncing period until there I found the event that wouldn't allow me to complete the syncing process. After every step I tried to sync, and on a certain moment it worked. In this way I could locate the event that always stopped the syncing process. This iteration method took some time, but everything seems to work right now.
Further I cleaned up our database of events on the filemaker side to avoid similar issues.
Thanks for showing me where to look for.
Hendrik Roos
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:16 pm
This is in regards to the issue I was having with BusyCal not syncing properly with the Zulu calendars. (see post from me earlier in this thread).

Anyway, it seems to have fixed itself. Not sure what I did to solve it, as I had given up trying a few weeks ago.
Previous

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker