Zulu Calendars and Lion

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:06 am
While we're waiting for FileMaker to officially bless Lion as a FileMaker Server, we're seeing issues with using Lion as a client operating system as well. iCal in Lion is not currently recognizing Zulu urls and passwords. We're working on a fix--this may be something we can change in Zulu--and will keep you posted here.

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:25 pm
Dear John,
It took me quite a while but I think I found a "workaround".
To create a Zuluaccount in Lions iCal 5.0 you have to create it in System Preferences/MailContacts&Others create a new "other" account, choose CalDav. Enter your Server yourserver.com/zulu address
It creates an account. Then go to iCal and edit the account. Put in "Serverpath" /zulu/calendars/yourfm/ "the settings you received from the Zulu Calendarcreate page, remember the slash at the end.
It worked twice for me.
Yours
Pierre
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:53 pm
That's great Pierre!
We'll test that here and confirm! As is often the case, the "workaround" becomes the actual method. :)
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:10 pm
Wish that was working for me: I get "Can't discover settings..." and am unable to create the account in system preferences. But *very* glad you found this. Working for anyone else?
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:53 am
John, I did it "again" just to see if I finally got nuts...

In System prefs you enter yourserver.com/zulu only....with the credentials.
that creates an account....close the System prefs..

Go to iCal where an error message awaits you. In Preferences edit the server path, take out the /zulu/principals/yourname and substitute by /zulu/calendars/filemakerfilename/
Hope this works.
Yours
Pierre
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:52 am
Damn fine instructions Pierre! Thank you: worked just fine.

When I'd put yourserver.com/zulu only....with the credentials into System Prefs it spun for a while saying "Discovering Settings". I'd bailed then, thinking it wouldn't resolve, but sure enough, it works just like you said.

Thanks again!
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:38 am
I can confirm this method works. You can create an account using any other valid caldav server ( Apple iCal Server, Kerio, MobileMe, etc...). Once the account is created you can then change the credentials and server path to the Zulu server and everything will work properly.

It appears, the issue with Zulu and Lion has to do with the physical account creation in iCal. Once an account is created everything works fine.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:09 am
More good news!

I migrated 2 users at a client today to new iMacs running Lion. iCal calendars transferred perfectly, no issues, just worked.
----------------------
Tim Anderson Group
Scotland

http://www.timanderson.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:21 am
Yes. That works as well. If the accounts existed under SL then they transfer without issue to Lion. It's just the creation of new accounts that is a problem.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:47 am
Thanks for posting this work around. I have gotten it to working in part. I can see only one of 5 zulu calendars. I am running zulu Version 0.996. Are there Zulu upgrades that may address this issue?

Darren
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:34 am
There have be several updates. I would definitely update to the latest version which is 1.254. That may address the issue. The only Lion issue I've found is account creation. Once the account is created it works just fine.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:10 pm
When you create the CalDAV account in system prefs, what exactly is the Name/Pass needed?

Do you need to give out the Name/Pass of the FMSA server? (sounds risky)
Or the Name/Pass of the Filemaker file you are eventually going to access (the Zulu enabled FM file?)
Or the Name/Pass of the host computer itself? (risky)

Thanks
Ted
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:25 pm
So here is what I am using trying to create the system preferences calDAV account:

Server Address: http://x.x.x.x/zulu/
Then for Name/Address I have tried...

Client computer name/address
Server computer name/address
FM server advanced name/address
FM Zulu enabled file name/address (for example the ZuluSampleData file uses "Zulu/Zulu")

None of these seem to be working. I keep getting "iCal couldn't discover the account settings for the CalDAV server "http://x.x.x.x/zulu/

Any ideas?

Ted
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:50 pm
You enter the account name and password for the FileMaker file, just as if you were logging in with FileMaker Pro.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:51 pm
Is this in regards to creating an account on a computer running Lion or are you trying to connect from a Mac running 10.5 / 10.6?
Next

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker