Zulu Calendars and Lion

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:46 pm
Got it working! In both SnowLeopard and Lion. In case it helps other, let me outline how this works from my perspective...

Go To System Preferences...
Select Mail, Contacts & Calendars...
Select the last item in list "Add Account"
To the right click on "Other"
RadioButton select Add a CalDAV account & Create
Name/Pass is the Name/Pass of the FM File you are serving with Zulu capabilities
(for example, when using the ZuluSampleData.fp7 file, you use Name/Pass of "Zulu/Zulu"
Server Address in my case had to be 10.0.1.7/zulu
I couldn't use http:// prefix
LocalHost didn't work

Immediately, if you have iCal open at the same time iCal will give you an error message

Answer "Stay Offline" for now and open the iCal Preferences
You will find the 10.0.1.7 CalDAV account already in there...
But the Server Settings need to be edited.
Select the "Server Settings" tab and change the Server path from...
/zulu/principals/users/Zulu
to instead
/zulu/calendars/FileName/ (eg: ZuluSampleData if testing)
Now you must tell iCal to turn your new 10.0.1.7 calendar to go online by clicking the caution/alert icon in the Calendar list, and selecting "Go Online"

Viola!

Sorry if this is somewhat compulsively step by step obvious to some! But as a Server novice I need things simple!

Ted
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:41 am
Description works like a charm for me. Thanks!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:33 am
Ok, so I have followed this procedure and I am only getting one of my Zulu calendars (of 5 total) to show up.

My set up:
- Latest zulu build
- 10.6 OS X server running FMS 11 (latest)
- 10.7 OX X client

the issue is only with the 10.7 client not showing all 5 calendars. 10.6 clients do not have this issue.

As an aside, I wanted to point out that the method does not work if the filemaker client account used to authenticate to Zulu is duplicated as a OS X 10.6 server user account. I had to create a separate FMP account that did not have an analog in OS X server. This was not an issue previously when I was using a 10.6 client computer.

Regardless, I am still having the issue of only seeing one calendar in iCal. Note that this was the same issue I was having prior to upgrading Zulu today form .996 to the latest build.

Darren
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:05 am
I am not seeing this issue with Lion in any of our installs. My guess would be that it's not a "Lion" specific issue. It might be a problem with the iCal Account settings or filtering settings for that user in FileMaker.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:19 am
Thanks for the response. What do you mean by "filtering settings for that user in Filemaker"? Note that this only became and issue after upgrade of the client computer to Lion.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:31 am
Zulu can use filters to limit which calendars are seen by a user. See their online documentation for more information on this. That's the only thing I know of that will limit the number of calendars seen in iCal.

Did you try changing the username on the account to see if a different user can see the proper calendars on the Lion machine. This information could help determine where the problem is.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:43 pm
phcranston wrote:Did you try changing the username on the account to see if a different user can see the proper calendars on the Lion machine. This information could help determine where the problem is.

By this do you mean the filemaker database account and password that is used in configuring the iCal account? If so, I did try another account and got the same result. Both accounts are full access accounts.

I will check on filters as well, although I am fairly certain that I never configured any user-based filters in zulu
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:02 pm
I checked the documentation on this page:
http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... Privileges

I reviewed the access privileges for the fmp account used to access zulu through iCal. This account is a full access account and xml web publishing is on.

I confirmed also that I do not have any user-based filters configured in the access privileges.

This is quite odd I think. Remember, this was working just fine prior to the Lion client upgrade and is working fine on all 10.5 and 10.6 client machines.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:12 pm
If you are seeing the issue with two different users and those users both currently work properly on a different computer, then the issue would appear to lie with the account on the Lion computer. My suggestion would be to delete and re-add the iCal account using one of the work-a-rounds listed previously in this post and report back what happens.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:41 am
I did as suggested - recreated the iCal account according to Ted's instructions. This did not work. Still only showed one zulu calendar of five. Then I created a new full access filemaker account to use exclusively with zulu and configured iCal with that. Still no result.

I played around with the ZuluCalendarList data and decided to delete such and recreate those five records and republish. Success!! Now all five calendars show.

thank you for your help.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:39 am
Glad to hear that worked. I was thinking about the issue last night and was going to suggest republishing the calendars as a next step.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:51 am
yes, I think I could have just republished without recreating the zulucalendarlist data. I am betting that would have worked.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:45 am
I recently updated one of my computers to 10.7 (10.7.2 actually) and these instructions do not work. At first the user was only seeing 1 of the 5 calendars we have setup. So I tried to reinstall the account. Deleted the old account first and then followed Ted's instructions. When I try to add the CalDAV Account I'm stuck in a perpetual loop. I add an "other" account in the Mail, Contacts & Calendars. Input the user's FM account name and password, the server address. I've tried every variation of the address. When I click continue I get an error that a secure connection couldn't be established. I click continue. Next it tries to discover settings. I then get an error that "there was a problem setting up the account. iCal couldn't discover the account setting for the CalDAV server" and then gives the server info. There is only one button to click, "ok." When I click OK it takes be back to where I enter in the information to access the server. It doesn't add it to the accounts and iCal never gives me an error message.

Any new news on getting this fixed or a new/different workaround?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:24 pm
I am in the same boat as sean_walsh. I had no problem when I upgraded to Lion or even when I upgraded to 10.7.2. However 2 days ago iCal stopped communicating with Zulu. Trying to create a new account under System Preferences...
Select Mail, Contacts & Calendars...
just get me into the same bind as Sean which won't resolve itself.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:35 pm
Geoff, That is very frustrating. We're seeing folks have trouble creating the accounts, but I haven't seen an existing account just stop communicating. I'm recording a video on how to create accounts on Lion and I'll post it here when I'm done. Maybe I'll see some of this then, or at least provide a way for you to recreate those accounts.

At the same time we're making come changes to the CalDAV side of Zulu in light of iOS 5 and those may provide some help here as well. That is a few weeks away however.

I'll post the video as soon as it's done. Wish I had something more definitive.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PreviousNext

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker