FileMaker Privilege Sets & Zulu/iCal

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:19 pm
I thought that the privilege sets that were set up in FileMaker would apply to users in iCal based upon how user access was set up in iCal. It appears that this is not the case. Users who have the following privileges are able to edit and delete records in FileMaker through iCal:

Records: View only in all tables
Layouts: All view only
Value lists: All view only
Scripts: All executable only

Is this functioning correctly?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:45 am
Hi,

iCal does respect FileMaker's Account Names / Privileges. With the privilege set below, if you try an change an event, you should get this:

Screen Shot 2012-01-13 at 9.37.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-01-13 at 9.37.37 AM.png (37.25 KiB) Viewed 5055 times

If you're using the Separation Model, where the actual data lives in a different file than you published from, than those privileges need to flow all the way through. That's a common issue we run into.

Let me know if that helps,
Jason
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 am
Sorry for taking a while to reply, but I wanted to make sure that I was correct in what we were seeing.

With the privilege set outlined in my original post, users are able to move and delete records in iCal, and that will flow through to the FileMaker database. Aslo, we are not using the separation model.

Prior to the most recent update, users would see a message similar to the one shown above. However, since the update for iOS 5, that has not been the case.

I'm open to suggestion...

David C.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:57 am
Hi Dave,

Hmmmm.

We can't reproduce this, and are not sure how it could be happening. Zulu uses FileMaker's XML Custom Web Publishing to communicate with FileMaker server, which requires proper FileMaker credentials, so somehow these are flowing through. There's nothing separate in Zulu to access FMS, so we're stumped.

If you don't already have one, I would add a modification field that shows the account of the "last modified by" to your edit table, then I would edit the event in iCal and confirm that the account that shows modified it has those privileges.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Jason
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:49 pm
Thanks Jason.

We already have a modification account field in the file; unfortunately, when users notice that an event has been moved, they correct it immediately so we can't do an easy trace of who did what.

However, based on your suggestion, we'll create some dummy appointments and try to move those using the account noted above. If we're successful at bypassing the privilege limitations, I'll provide screenshots of the same for you to view.

Thanks...

David
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:37 pm
Thanks David,

Let me know. Obviously, security is a big deal!

-Jason

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker