iOS not syncing after initial sync

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:54 pm
It appears that subscriptions in iOS 5 are not re-syncing properly. There are no error messages and the Catalina log appears routine. We are finding that once a subscribed calendar has synced with Zulu, the subsequent syncs do not update existing events nor add new events.

The only work around seems to be to turn the subscription account off and then on again. The Calendar then does a complete reload. But it does not re-sync after that.

Are we seeing an iOS 5 bug or an issue with Zulu?

We are utilizing subscriptions only in this scenario with a 15 min Fetch setting.

Thanks for your help!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:48 pm
Hi Blaine,

We're not aware of any current issues, and all seems to be working fine with my subscriptions. I will play around with my phone and pad to see if I see anything new.

The behavior you describe seems like it might be related to the zulu_ModificationTimestamp not being updated when the record is created or edited in FM. That's the field Zulu uses as the trigger to refresh the events in iCal. When you delete and add the account back in, then it will see them all as "New" and therefore refresh them. I imagine you have that Timestamp field dialed in correctly, but thought I should mention it.

Also, are these devices moving in and out of the firewall? There has been some confusion for a few folks about which IP (public/internal) can be used when. I doubt that's it either, but wanted to mention that as well.

Let me know Blaine,
Jason
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:42 am
JasonYoung wrote:The behavior you describe seems like it might be related to the zulu_ModificationTimestamp not being updated when the record is created or edited in FM. That's the field Zulu uses as the trigger to refresh the events in iCal.

Also, are these devices moving in and out of the firewall?

Hi Jason;

The ModificationTimestamp is functioning properly. There is no problem whatsoever with iCal updating with a timed refresh, the problem is definitely happening with iOS devices. An iPhone and iPad both running 5.1 are not able to refresh an event once an initial sync has taken place. One user ( iOS ) has reported that after an initial sync they are not seeing any new events added to the system - even though the new event shows up properly in iCal.

As I mentioned before, the only way to get any new or updated information with a subscribed calendar in iOS Calendar is to turn off the account in Settings on the device and then turn it back on.

The firewall shouldn't be an issue as server path uses a domain name rather than an IP - my scenario takes place outside of the firewall using an an iMac (Lion), iPhone 4S and iPad 1Gen, both running iOS 5.1

I've tested various Fetch, Push and Manual settings but nothing seems to trigger a proper re-sync. I've also cycled the web engine in FileMaker. It's like Zulu goes deaf to incoming requests from iOS 5 once a sync has been made.

I can send you subscription details for a calendar privately if you'd like to see the difference between iCal and iOS 5 Calendar syncs.

Thanks,

Blaine
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:51 am
Blaine and I are working on this, and it looks like we do have an issue here. Possibly an iOS update.
Stay tuned...
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:38 am
Forgot to follow up here :shock:

Issue resolved with Build 1.315 8)

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker