Possible FMS Web Publishing Error?

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:44 am
Setting up the first of two calendars for a new project. Symptom was non-stop spinner (just kept spinning, no error message) at setting up iCal CalDAV account, but I think the cause may be closer to the source. Host is OSX Server 10.6.8 with FMS11.

I was able to Publish from the calendar field-mapping page OK. And the Sync Admin page says "√ Zulu is communicating successfully with Web Publishing Engine running on localhost (ssl: false)" BUT, when I check the FMS console, I'm getting conflicting feedback:

The Server menu says "Stop Web Publishing" (implying it's on). But when I click on Web Publishing option in the left-hand panel, I get a message: "The Web Publishing Engine is not available. To configure web publishing please start the Web Publishing Engine first."

The FileMaker Server Overview panel shows a red dot for Server Status Information, with "An error was encountered communicating with the server." as well as three panels: green dots for Web Server and php and Database Server and odbc/jdbc, but red dot for Web Publishing Engine and iwp/off, xml/on, xslt/on.

XML column is checked for the database in question (and extended privilege is turned on for the calendar account).

Is this an FMS/web publishing problem? And, would spaces in the database file name cause a problem? Any suggestions for next steps?

TIA,
debi
Debi Rubel
FullCity Consulting
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:10 am
Hi Debi,

Hope all is well. I have had similar issues with FMS Web Publishing not wanting to start. I've found that re-running the "Edit Server Deployment" can help fix this, but not always, and I' have had to reinstall server over the years.

Another thing to try is to restart it with the command line, as it could be an issue with the SAT itself.

fmsadmin start|stop adminserver|wpc|cwp

And, would spaces in the database file name cause a problem?

Yes, they would. File Name spaces are not supported in any "external" access to FileMaker Server: IWP, CWP and ODBC. If changing the file name is not an option than you can set up a TO reference in another file and publish from there. We have several folks using the Sample File to publish from for this reason.

Let me know if that helps!
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:21 am
Jason,

That definitely helps me focus on FMS and the file name, rather than wondering what's wrong with iCal. Looks like we'll have to do so some coordinating with the client regarding possible restarting/reinstalling/renaming. Thanks for your help, and have a great holiday!

debi
Debi Rubel
FullCity Consulting
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:58 am
File name has been changed to eliminate spaces. FMS has been reinstalled. Per the console, Web Publishing is on and XML is enable. XML column is checked on for all files. XML is enabled for all privileges in the file.

Somehow I had two records for the calendar listings (using the same calendar name), but I was able to clear that up and re-publish so only one showed as available.

Roughly only a dozen of the several thousand records have date data at all. I've set the range as 360 days back and forward. All start dates and end dates are the same, there are no times (all-day events). Date fields and time fields are using date and time field types, respectively.

Pushing the publish button shows the calendar as available. Zulu home page showed OK, though, apparently, I did need to re-register to go from demo to enterprise, and that was successful. Local host/zulu showed as OK.

In iCal, I am getting the message: No iCal servers were found.

Any idea what is wrong or suggestions as to what I should do next?

TIA,
debi
Debi Rubel
FullCity Consulting
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:07 am
Hi Deb,

The "Is It Your Server" steps we have in troubleshooting are the best way to track down these connection issues. It could be the URL you have set up in iCal, or Zulu can't find the FMS using "localhost." Since localhost/zulu is working, it's provably not the latter, but I would check those steps jic.

http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... leshooting

Let me know if that helps,
Jason
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:27 pm
Jason,

I'm working back through many steps I think I've tried previously. A couple of twists:
* I'm getting the same iCal error when I try to set up CalDAV for the zulu sample database
* Zulu sync seems fine (yellow warning about google, green check for Zulu is communicating successfully w/WPE on localhost (ssl:false)

I've moved on to "...make sure XML Web Publishing is really working..." and am now trying to see XML in Firefox, but am getting time out errors. Can you please elaborate on "The key here is to find the URL that can see the web publishing engine and returns XML.."?

TIA,
d~
Debi Rubel
FullCity Consulting
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:25 pm
Hi Deb,

Is this using localhost on the server box, or a 192 from a client?

It's possible the 192 for the server isn't the same as the WPE, so we mean the one that reaches the WPE/XML and shows XML in firefox. The SAT might show the one for the WPE, so that's worth a look. Also, could be an alternate port to 80, so you'd need to specify that in the URL as well.

Let me know if that helps,
-Jason
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:46 pm
Jason,
Just to put some closure on this subject: problem resolved, it was the wrong instance if iCal.
Thanks,
debi
Debi Rubel
FullCity Consulting
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:04 pm
Thanks for the follow up Debi,

Have a great Weekend!

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker