Filtering question

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:53 pm
Hi Guys,

When I publish my calendar to Google, it creates a Calendar with the name of the Layout, in my case, SS_Google_Calendar. As it should be, I think. But...

Turns out that even though I've setup (zulu) filters for my items, ALL of the events for ALL of my items are going into that named Google Calendar, and they're ALSO going into the filtered Google calendars. So I'm getting tons of unwanted items in the 'SS_Google_Calendar' calendar, which is effectively creating duplicates of the filtered items I do want displayed. This of course kinda doubles up on the communication back and forth.

Is there a way to make ONLY the items I've set filters for appear on the initial calendar, or better yet, have nothing appear there? Or, is there a smarter way to handle this?

(In my use-case, I may have hundreds of things in my FileMaker calendar (like Equipment), but only want certain special items to appear in Google.)

Thanks!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:05 am
Hi Joel,

Hope all is well. The Filter Key and Filter Value work just like FileMaker finds, so if they're blank, they'll find everything.

You can also use FileMaker Find operators, so if you only want to see events that have a filter value, you can use the wildcard operator *, etc. If you only want to see events that have no filter values you can use ==.

Let me know if that helps,
-Jason
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:41 pm
Thanks Jason,

I guess I'm looking for a 'best practice' here... When publishing the calendar, it creates that FM Calendar record that's the name of the layout, which is not the name of anything relevant for our users. Should I:

1) when I'm making my first "filter" record in the calendar list, reset this initial record to the values I want (and does that rename the calendar in Google?)
2) duplicate it, then delete the original
3) just have it created with== in the filter value so it won't show anything.

Assuming all 3 will work, I guess I'd go with #1 or 2.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:59 pm
Hi Joel,

Right, it really doesn't matter. The main thing is to make sure the zulu_Properties value is preserved as this contains the field mapping info.

I typically just edit the first one (Display name and filters) and then duplicate that one for the additional filtered calendars. I think I'm in this habit because for folks working with the workgroup license, as you only have 5 total so you need to make sure that first one is filtered, but you're right 1or 2 will both works and neither one is "wrong."

As an overview, Zulu locates the ZuluCalendarList records by layout name. That's why the layout name there has to be "ZuluCalendarList." It then loops through those records and uses the data to find the events themselves for syncing, so other information like creation order, etc. has no effect on the process.

hth,
Jason

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker