Mountain Lion Client Sync Error

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:36 am
Because of the issues reported here about Mountain Lion Server, I have not upgraded my server; FileMaker 11 Server is running on Lion.

I updated one client machine to Mountain Lion, and it seems to have broken Zulu syncing. I hate to go back to Lion, as ML is running much faster on this machine than Lion did, and I actually like some of the new features. But I need my Zulu calendars.

Is the issue the same running FMP client as with running FM Server on Mountain Lion? And who are we all waiting on to fix it? Apple? BusyCal? FileMaker? Seedcode?

Thanks for your help.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:34 am
Hi Joe,

We've actually not had any issues with our Mountain Lion Servers here, and am only aware of one client who was having trouble connecting to iCal on FMS12v2 / MLS. They were running SSL with a self signed cert, but we were unable to replicate the issue here. They do have Google running as a workaround.

Same with Mountain Lion client, we're not seeing any issues there other than some with the alarms which we're looking into, but other than that we have no known issues. Are you getting errors there? or can you give me some more info as to the what's happening.

This is with iCal (now Calendar). BusyCal is a third party app, and although it's a great, we really can't support it directly.

Thanks!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:49 am
Thank you Jason,

It didn't work in either Calendars or BusyCal when I first upgraded to Mountain Lion. After reading your reply I tried it again in Calendars and this time it worked. I'm not sure what changed, but thank you!

I am embarrassed to say that I have been trying for weeks to make it work with BusyCal to no avail. Immediately after getting it to work on Calendars today, I tried again in BusyCal - and it works now on BusyCal. I am at a loss as to what has changed, as the settings I've used are no different than the ones I've been been using for weeks while banging my head against a wall. Sorry for the non-question - since Zulu seems to work fine everywhere now. But here is a new question:

Are you saying that I can upgrade the machine that hosts my FileMaker Server to Mountain Lion without losing my Zulu calendars? Not MLS but just ML. I have not yet deployed either FMS 12 (though I own it), or MLS, partly due to worries about Zulu integration. I am currently hosting FMS 11 on Lion only, and as soon as I find a few weeks to complete a tutorial on MLS I may upgrade the OS to Server. In the meantime our FMS runs on the basic OS. So there are several upgrades I'm considering, and I'm wondering if any of them present challenges:

FMS 11 on Lion - Current configuration - works great with Zulu (even with one ML client now)
FMS 11 on Mountain Lion
FMS 12 on Lion
FMS 12 on Mountain Lion
FMS 12 on Mountain Lion Server

I'm a bit embarrassed that my first question was silly, but very happy to have my Zulu calendars back. And while it's not supported, I've got to say that I much prefer BusyCal to Calendars. Calendars in Mountain Lion fixed the ridiculous Lion popover widget, and now displays the calendar list in a sidebar. But when they took Calendar Groups out of iCal it was a deal breaker for me.

Thanks so much for your help.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:43 pm
No problem Joe,

From all our testing and reports (except the one SSL one) ML and MLS and Zulu are fine. However, there does seem to be an issue with Zulu and alarms on ML that I'm looking into, so if you're using alarms I would hold off.

If you're going to MLS than FileMaker says you need to do a complete clean install of Server 12V2 (V1 is not supported on MLS).

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11044

In general, I'm still a little "old school" with this issue and subscribe to the idea that the OS should be the oldest piece of software that you're running, even though Apple has really changed that meme :cry:

I am running ML on my main client machine and generally like it, other than the weirdness with the alarms.

hth!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:29 pm
That's great Jason, thank you. I'm not using alarms, so I may upgrade to FMS 12, and then go to ML. I appreciate the help.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:43 am
In a new installation running FMS 11 on Snow Leopard, with SSL, the 10.6 Snow Lep client has intermittent time-outs when refreshing up to 23 calendars but generally works fine for smaller numbers. However Mtn Lion clients are doing much worse, most calendars generate the ! warning symbol and fail to refresh most of the time. Any advice to address this?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 am
Hi (Brian?)

What error message do you get when you click on the ! (guessing 500). I just sent you a message from support on this as well which I think is related. If it's the 500 error, then it's most likely a data issue that's preventing the calendar from completing.

Thanks!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:32 am
The error message is "Calendar couldn't connect to <domain>. Make sure you're connected to the internet…."
Brian W. Smith
Winslow Tech
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:07 pm
ok, we'll troubleshoot at support and report back here.

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker