Invalid URLs / java.net.MalformedURLException

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:45 am
So it turns out the issue I was asking about in a previous post was something completely different from what I thought.

It seems the users sometimes enter other kinds of information in the URL field than actual URLs, which throws a java.net.MalformedURLException.

As far as I know and have been able to test, "normal" iCal/Calendar lets you enter whatever you like into this field. I'd be curious to why this control is used in Zulu.
Trying to parse text to validate URLs is a bit of a pain, even more so in FileMaker Go, and doing an "Insert from URL" each time isn't exactly a performance booster.

Any suggestions?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:48 am
Right, this is annoying, because iCal itself doesn't validate this way, but when you send it a "bad" URL via CalDAV it chokes on it. From my experience, it's just spaces and returns that bug it, so if you can substitute those out via script trigger, or auto-enter calc I think that will help.

I've also had folks just not map it and have the URL show up in the Description/Notes field. There's no field for it on Google, so a lot of times folks need to do that anyway.

hth,
Jason
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:31 am
Yes, I already added a couple of blunt tricks to detect/unformat values that contain spaces, tabs, carriage returns and/or don't start with one of a list of common URL protocols.

At some point I may look at getting a hold of the Java that does the validation and then implement that in an auto-enter using ScriptMaster. Fun to play with anyway...
If would be very useful to at least have the code used for validation, so one doesn't have to guesstimate - and it would be nice to document this issue a bit better.

No Google at this time, so I would like to use the URL if possible. Not least because there's fun stuff you can do with the fmp:// URL protocol...
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:40 am
Makes sense, all 360's stuff works on that same java engine, so I imagine that would work great. If you come up with something, we'd love a post on it.

Thanks!

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker