GoZync Questions

Help, Tips, and Tricks for deploying GoZync: our "sync" engine for FileMaker Go.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:27 pm
Question 1:
Does GoZync support repeating fields? I have a repeating container field which holds several pictures. Will I have to split out the repeating field into separate non-repeating fields?

Question 2:
Is the "Close Connections To Served Files" script at the end of "Upload All Invoices To Server" necessary? How come?

Question 3:
Does GoZync support deleting records? For example, in the sample Mobile and Invoices files, if I delete an invoice in the Mobile file, is there a mechanism to propagate that deletion to the Invoices file?

Question 4:
Should I have posted this question in another section of the forum? I noticed that other SeedCode products have a dedicated forum section, but I didn't see one for GoZync...

- - - - - - - - - - -
Comment:
The documentation is generally excellent, but there are a few places where you refer to scripts or some other solution elements by the wrong name, which makes it a bit confusing. An example of this is in the PullingRecordsDownToGo document where you refer to the script "Table Branches" which is actually called "Table Map" (or at least in the version that I have, which I downloaded last week).

There are also some parts which I think (maybe I'm wrong) are referring to areas that used to be there but aren't any more. For an example of this, look for the part in your PullingRecordsDownToGo document which says:
>> find the comment "Perform any interface cleanup you need to in order to show the records just retrieved."

Overall, a great product!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:36 pm
Ok, I figured out first question. Posting it here in case it proves useful to anyone else...

Yes, GoZync does support repeating fields. You'll need to go to the Field Mapping layout (the one with the tabs). The repeating field must be laid out so it shows the repetitions you want to upload. (In the Inspector > Data tab, under 'Show repetitions'.)

Then you have to set the tab order so it includes the repetitions, and you need to make sure it's in the correct order.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:05 am
Great post! And thanks for the bit about repeating fields.

As you can see, we did a major refactoring of scripts in the last build and haven't caught some of the docs yet. I'll take another pass looking for Table Branches v Map.

As for your other questions...

Question 2:
Is the "Close Connections To Served Files" script at the end of "Upload All Invoices To Server" necessary? How come?

It is necessary, but maybe not in all use cases. If we don't close the connections to the served files and you walk out of 3G range or your wireless goes down for more than 10 seconds or so, Go will start to ask for the hosted files and this asking can't really be aborted pleasantly. So we close the connection firmly and your user will never again be bothered about the server until they need to zync again.

Now if you're on a solid connection and not moving around this may not be as necessary. But we have yet to remove it from a solution.

Question 3:
Does GoZync support deleting records? For example, in the sample Mobile and Invoices files, if I delete an invoice in the Mobile file, is there a mechanism to propagate that deletion to the Invoices file?

The only way to propagate deletion is with an edit (a delete flag) instead of outright deletion of the record. That "flag" could be another table if you wish, where you store IDs of deleted records, but we've found it simple to flag the mobile record, demonstrate its "deleted" status visually, the send that deletion flag up to the host as a zync, deleting the mobile record at completion of the Zync. Then use the parsing scripts in GoZyncConnector to delete the server's instance of the record: of better yet, flag IT as well so other mobile users can receive that delete notice.

Question 4:
Should I have posted this question in another section of the forum? I noticed that other SeedCode products have a dedicated forum section, but I didn't see one for GoZync..

Um. I should probably set up a forum just for this. =) Thanks!
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to GoZync