Repeating fields

Help, Tips, and Tricks for deploying GoZync: our "sync" engine for FileMaker Go.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:02 pm
I have a solution with a parent record, and child records; the child records have a repeating field. All of the repetitions of the repeating field are on the sync layout for both the mobile and hosted files being synced. However, the data from the very first repetition never makes it into the hosted file. When I look at the package file Header, the first field repetition doesn't explicitly have the repetition number in square brackets:

Code: Select all
ATTENDANCE::ID__pk!•!ATTENDANCE::RollsheetID__fk!•!ATTENDANCE::CreationStamp__dm!•!ATTENDANCE::ModificationStamp__dm!•!ATTENDANCE::StudentID__fk!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[2]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[3]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[4]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[5]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[6]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[7]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[8]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[9]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[10]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[11]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[12]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[13]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[14]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[15]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[16]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[17]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[18]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[19]!•!ATTENDANCE::Attendance__dn[20]!•!

I haven't poked around the parsing scripts on the hosted file much, but I'm wondering if that's preventing it from being processed correctly.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:42 pm
Hi Rob,
In Filemaker if no repetition is specified it will default to the first one. So there is no issue in the code as far as it not having a "[1]". I did a quick test on my end with a repeating field with 20 repetitions and it works great. All 20 were synced just fine.

A couple of questions:
Do you have that field on the sync layout for both the local and hosted files?

Does this always happen on every record or was it just a one time thing?

Thanks,

Tanner
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:50 pm
Hi, Tanner.

It looks like the package being sent to GoZyncHosted has the data for the first repetition, it's just not making it into the hosted file.

I have the field on the sync layout for both the local and hosted files: it's in a portal, and I made sure that the field was "anchored" to the portal and fully within the portal row. I even copied all of the elements on the sync layout in the local file, and pasted them onto the sync layout on the hosted file.

This happens every time I sync, for every child record. I have it configured to be a "push" only sync, in case that's relevant. Was your test for the default round trip?

Thanks.

Rob
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:06 am
Sorry for the late reply. It is odd that the first repetition is being excluded. Would you like to send us your files and we can take a look? If the files are under 25MB you can just email them, otherwise you need to use a file sharing service and email us the link to the files.

Please send them to support at seedode.com

Thanks,

Tanner
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:45 am
OK, I think I figured it out -- or at least, stopped it from happening. The repeating field in both files has an auto-entry calculation set to allow replacing existing values. When I remove that auto-entry calc from the hosted file, the data in the first repetition pushes correctly.

Many of the other fields have auto-entry calculations (in both the mobile and hosted files) and they sync without a problem. I don't know what's so special about the first repetition of a repeating field in this regard.

Return to GoZync