GoZync Licences, how many?

Help, Tips, and Tricks for deploying GoZync: our "sync" engine for FileMaker Go.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:19 am
Hi,
I'm not entirely sure how many licences I might need to purchase:

We have an .fmp12 database file hosted remotely on FM Server and we currently access this via two laptops (FM Pro 12 Adv and FM Pro 12), updates can be a bit sluggish but we can cope with it for now.

We also use FM Go 12 on x3 iPads and x4 iPhones but only one of them needs to have guaranteed access to the data at all times, our 'emergency' device.

My hosting company allows me to save a maximum of x5 database files and I'm up to three already so wondered if GoZync is a separate file or can it be added to my existing file?

Also, how easy is it to move a licence from one iPad to another? I've ordered an iPad Mini and that will be the emergency device once it ships in the next few weeks.

Any advice/clarification would be appreciated, many thanks.
Brian.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:56 am
GoZync will add two hosted files to your solution; no way around that I'm afraid.

As for the devices, our licensing is for the total number of users, not concurrent users. So if any of 7 devices needed to connect--at any moment--you'd need 7 device licenses. But it is pretty easy to let another device use a license, and you could use this procedure to move the license to whomever was "on call" for emergency response.

Basically a user "grabs" the next open license when that device connects, but you can delete the device, freeing that license for the next device that needs it. This is what you might do, for example, when a user gets a new iPhone--deleting the old one to make way for the new.

You can learn more about this and see the screen for managing these devices here: Managing Devices.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:45 am
Thanks John, I can fully integrate Calendar Pro into my file to save space once I have enough confidence to take the task on ;)

The licensing makes more sense now so I'll probably go for the basic package with one mobile licence included with the engine for the server. Can always add more if required...

A really important point for me is, can GoZync handle container fields that are set to Secure/External? I've been experimenting with saving a file to an iPad to open locally and had major issues with missing PDF files. I managed it eventually but I wouldn't want to be doing this sort of thing manually, especially on a daily basis.

Brian.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:20 pm
Hi Brian,

Good to hear with the Calendar.

GoZync can only sync embedded containers, as otherwise it would just be passing file paths back and forth and there's no way to ensure the device/computer has access to the path. That's probably what you're running into currently with the pdfs, i.e. the device can't resolve the path where the pdf actually lives.

One possibility would be to keep them embedded on the device and for the sync, then when they're back on the host move the file to an external location. Basically have two container fields, one for embedding and syncing, and one for external storage on the host. Would be a little tricky, but certainly doable.

hth,
Jason
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:40 pm
Hmm, that sounds a bit too tricky for me...

The experimental manual method involved:
    Logging on to the remote server
    Stopping the db
    Downloading it
    Opening it locally on Macbook
    Saving as a 'self contained file'
    Copying to Dropbox
    Browsing to the Dropbox file on the iPad
    Download and open with FM Go

To do the above on a daily basis would be hard work but please feel free to automate it all in GoZync :)
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:50 pm
:D Right, drop box is moving an actual file and is hard to compete with for that purpose. GoZync is transactionally writing data back and forth between separate files, so really apples and oranges. Plus you're still going to have the same issues with the containers. Unless they're embedded in the file, you won't be able to access them on the device as the device won't have access to the remote location.

hth,
Jason
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:16 pm
It was worth a try ;)

Saving the downloaded local file as a 'self contained copy' changed the containers so that data was embedded in the file before being transferred to Dropbox.

I've changed the Containers back to normal status in FM for now (the file size has ballooned!) while I get to grips with GoZync which I've just purchased.

Thanks
Brian.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:24 pm
Right, the embedded files are "in" the FileMaker file so that makes sense. They would all need to "live" on the device anyway, so whether they're embedded or external really doesn't matter as far as device storage goes.

Let us know how it goes with GoZync. We do offer integration/customization services if you need any help.

Cheers!

Return to GoZync