Performance (sync speed)

Help, Tips, and Tricks for deploying GoZync: our "sync" engine for FileMaker Go.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:06 am
Hi.

I have set up the QuickContact test system and have added 10,000 contacts to the contacts table.
On average, it is taking 7 minutes to sync to an iPad mini. So, if I make a change to a single contact on the server and then sync the iPad mini client, it takes seven minutes to complete. It takes a similar amount of time if I update a contact on the iPad mini client and then sync with the server.

I was wondering if this is the expected speed or if there is anything I should be doing to speed things up?

The setup is as follows:

Server
--
FileMaker Server 12
Windows Server 2008

Client
--
iPad Mini
FileMaker Go 12

Field level merging if Off.
Connecting via a 54 Mbps WiFi router

I really like the GoZync product. I am just concerned how it will perform with a database with many tables, some with lots of data. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
BOB
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:03 am
Hi Bob,

There are two things you can / should do to speed this up:

1. Disable Field Level Merge if you're not taking photos of your contacts. You can turn this off by select the contacts table in GoZyncHosted and then selecting ZyncOptions. Field Level Merge makes some things faster, but in a narrow table like contacts it is probably more overhead than it's worth if you're not using photos. You can read more on when Field Level Merge speeds things up here: http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... ync3.Speed

2. Turn off GoZync's managing of deletes. It is this feature that makes you "feel" those 10K records even though you're just changing one. Instructions here: http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... OffDeletes

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:46 am
Thanks John.

I commented out the deletion code as you suggested and it made a huge difference to the sync time. It's now taking seconds to sync small changes instead of minutes.
I will look into a way to flag records as inactive instead of deleting them, so as to avoid the need to sync deletes.

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Return to GoZync