Table related to more than one parent

Help, Tips, and Tricks for deploying GoZync: our "sync" engine for FileMaker Go.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:11 am
Is there any special handling of a table related to more than one parent when syncing child records? For example, I have an Interaction table that contains child records of both Contact and Event. Should this table be synced as its own entity or can it (or should it) be synced as a child of both Contact and Event?

GoZync 4, BTW
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:49 am
Hi Darren. To do related synching in that situation, I'm afraid you'd have to play King Solomon and choose one parent over the other. As you mentioned, synching the Interaction table independently is the other option. Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. -Jeff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:56 am
Thanks for the fast response, Jeff.

Here is the next layer of that:

What if there is several layers of parent to child. In my system I have four:

Event is the parent of
EventCall is the parent of
CrewCall is the parent of
Assignment

Any special handling here, or just set up the chain of requirements in GZH?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:13 am
You could accommodate all of those parent-child relationships in your GoZync 4 setup. But you should assess the nature of these relationships and decide if related synching is really necessary for all of them. We recommend related synching when it would be a big problem to successfully sync one table and not the other (e.g., an invoice without its line items, or vice-versa). You could also say the related synching requirement applies when the parent record and ALL of its children tend to be created at the same time (again, the example is a new invoice with line items). I don't know anything about your database, but if "EventCall" is where history related to a given "Event" record accumulates over time, then it would make more sense to sync those tables independently, because you don't need to re-sync existing Event and EventCall records.

Regardless, you can read more about issues and recommendations on related synching on these two pages:
http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.ph ... tedRecords
http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.ph ... RecordMods

HTH... Jeff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:19 pm
Possible Bug. Note in attachment that Assignment has not sorted properly. It is a child of Crewcall, Crewcall Child of EventCall, which is a child of Event

And yes, I do know that my current setup may be sync overkill. Still digesting all the options....

GoZyncHosted (DARREN-PC).jpg
GoZyncHosted (DARREN-PC).jpg (76.93 KiB) Viewed 5808 times
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:27 am
Hi Darren. I think you're expecting your Assignment table to appear below CrewCall, in keeping with the hierarchical nature of all of the parent-child relationships you have set up in your solution. The reason it's not sorting that way is that GoZync doesn't support synching more than one level deep. You can set up related synching for all three parent-child relationships you outlined, but each child table will only be synched along with its immediate parent. So when you explicitly sync Event, EventCall will also be synched, but CrewCall and Assignment will not. When you explicitly sync EventCall, CrewCall will also be synched, but Assignment will not. To sync Assignment, you'll have to explicitly synch CrewCall (or just sync Assignment independently). HTH -Jeff

Return to GoZync