Install update - File Locked or In Use error

Help, Tips, and Tricks for deploying GoZync: our "sync" engine for FileMaker Go.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:18 am
I have upgraded the latest version of GoZync - 4.053. I uploaded a new build to GZ Hosted. When I check for updates from the mobile file, it finds the new version, and tries to install this. However, there are errors apparently in exporting the field contents in the GZH "Install Files Helper" script.

I displayed a custom dialog for $GZMFilePath and it shows file:/var/mobile/Applications/ID_STRING/Documents/GoZyncMobile.fmp12

Then I displayed the container being exported and it shows file:GoZyncMobile.fmp12

Then it gives me the error: "Error: This file is locked or in use." yet the $error variable in FMP is 0 (zero). Same thing happens for my mobile file.

--
Anders
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:35 pm
Hi Anders. When you use the "Check for Updates" feature, GoZync will attempt to overwrite the file with the same name, but FileMaker Go will only let that happen if the original file is closed. GoZync takes care of closing that file for you, but we did have a bug in an early release and folks were getting that "...file is locked..." message. Did you update to the latest version by getting brand-new files, or by applying the changes manually? If you made the updates manually, I'm wondering if something got missed during that process. If that's the case, go through the steps again to make sure everything was done properly, or if it's practical and not too time-consuming, you could download fresh copies of the current GoZync files and do the integration again. HTH... Jeff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:59 am
Hi Jeff,
I used brand new files when updating. It's possible I missed a step along the way, though I changed no scripts. I'll download a fresh copy and compare the scripts to see if that happened. GZM still is open, so I suspect my mobile file also is open.
Thanks,
Anders
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:05 am
Jeff,
I checked and I have the latest files and scripts. I also looked for where the files are closed. In the GZM "Check for Updates (File)" script, the "Queue the server to install the new files" script in GZH runs prior to the "close all windows for the two files" action. My errors I'm getting are inside the Install Files script in GZH, which is prior to the files being closed, as it's in the "Install Files Helper" that queues the files is where the error happens, and in the Export Field Contents step.
Export Field Contents [ SelectedMobileFiles::FileContainer; “$path” ]
Although the error variable returns zero, there is a system error with the files locked or in use.

The only way I was able to get this to work by moving the close window action from GZM into GZH. I don't believe this is default GZ behavior, however.

--
Anders
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:15 am
Hey Anders,

Hope all's well. Jeff's back on Monday, and he'll take a look then. Sounds like you've got a workaround going at the very least.

I heard on the Twitter that you got your black belt! Very inspiring!!!

-Jason
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:52 am
Hi Anders. Another explanation would be that there is another open file on your mobile device that has a file reference to the one you want to replace and that's forcing it to remain open. I've seen that happen before. If that's not it and you are using the latest GoZync files then I'm kind of out of ideas without seeing your files. Feel free to send them to me if you need more help figuring it out. HTH... Jeff
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:45 pm
Jeff,
I checked out that possibility, but on the mobile device I have no other files with references to these. I will try replacing the GZM file that I have with a clean copy of GZM and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks,
Anders

Return to GoZync