Distribute Mobile File: File Never Arrives

Help, Tips, and Tricks for deploying GoZync: our "sync" engine for FileMaker Go.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:30 pm
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the Q & A webinar last week - it was really helpful!

I am trying to use GZM to distribute the latest build of the mobile file.

Unfortunately the mobile file is large: 1.74 GB at last check, and it will grow. I can't get it any smaller due to the customer's requirements.

I used the "Prep & Upload New File" script without incident (although due to file size it took some time.)

Next, I wanted to test what the user experience of downloading would be like, so yesterday I tried downloading the latest version, over the WAN. I let the process run overnight and came in today to find that only GZM arrived, not my mobile file, although I think this may have been due to a tight squeeze in the GBs available on my device.

I'm trying again today to bring down just the mobile file (after verifying I have enough space).

I notice I don't get any feedback stating that GZM is working as it brings down the new file. I'm on the "Progress" layout that appears to be blank / not really open (see attached screen grab). Perhaps there is a progress display that will arrive later? It's looked this way for the past 30 minutes.

So, I'd like to know
1. how where to look to modify the process so I can give the user some feedback, if possible; and

2. If, in your opinion, my file is just too large for this to be practical.

Thank you!
Attachments
Progress Window No Progress.jpg
Progress Window No Progress.jpg (102.73 KiB) Viewed 9072 times
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:11 am
Hi Maida. I'm glad you enjoyed the webinar! The layout that appears while the mobile file is being downloaded and installed is modifiable, so you can change it to look and behave any way you'd like (add a user-facing message, etc.).

Your mobile file may be too large for it to be practical to use the built-in update mechanism. I would advise finding a way to reduce the size of the file that will need to be updated. If there are lots of images, or data that doesn't change very often, perhaps consider splitting the mobile solution into multiple files to minimize the size of the file(s) that need to be updated this way. HTH -Jeff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:32 am
Thanks Jeff.

Return to GoZync