Sync records from before last zync date

Help, Tips, and Tricks for deploying GoZync: our "sync" engine for FileMaker Go.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:36 am
Hi

I'm having a few issues with the latest version of gozync due to the volume of people i have syncing. Now that we have quite a few people syncing and the number of records we have to sync (a full round trip can take upto 15 mins over a 3G connection) we are seeing some overlaps in the syncing of records.

We are having the issue that if Person A performs a sync over a slow connection (say 15 mins to complete) and Person B performs a sync on a faster connection (say 5 mins to complete) in the middle of Person A's sync, Then A will not receive B's changed records.

I am thinking that the best way around this is to get the sync to look for records whose last time zynced is equal to the current time - 1 or 2 hours. I'm just not sure where i would need to make this change.

Any thoughts?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:02 pm
In your example, User A wouldn't get User B's changes because when User A started his sync, User B hadn't synced yet. The NEXT time User A syncs, he would get User B's changes. Your idea to spoof the modification timestamp (e.g., last zync time - 1 hour) should work, but users who sync more than once during that hour would be syncing the same records again unnecessarily. If you want to try it, open the "Get IDs to Pull From Host, Delete Records on Mobile That Have Been Filtered Out" script in GoZyncMobile and edit the Set Field shown in the attached screen shot. Change "$$gz_LastTimeZync" to "$$gz_LastTimeZync - 3600". That will backdate the timestamp by 1 hour (3600 seconds). HTH -Jeff
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 2.52.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 2.52.49 PM.png (555.53 KiB) Viewed 10827 times
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:13 am
Thanks for that jeff, I will try it and see if it works correctly for us. some unnessessary record syncs is a better option for us than missing records. We have also noticed that this can be an issue that occurs when syncs are performed from different timezones if the device is set to change it's timezone. I.e. one user was located in Canada the rest in the UK the last time zync field is set to the host device time so when the device changed it's timezone because of being in Canada it caused this issue to occur. Just adding that as it may be something worth looking at for a future edition.

Regards

Stuart
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:43 am
Tmezones; In the works. Thanks, Stuart.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to GoZync