GoZync 5.0.31 - Syncing to Hosted SQL

Help, Tips, and Tricks for deploying GoZync: our "sync" engine for FileMaker Go.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:09 am
Hi,

We have recently switched from using a Hosted File with FileMaker Database to a Hosted File which is connected to SQL Server via ODBC.

We have noticed a decrease in time for pulling records (almost by 3 times as slow)

To pull down 3247 records use to take about 7 mins, but now it is taking upto 22 minutes.

Is there anything that can be done to improve the speed of pulling and pushing when the host file is connected to SQL Server?

Thanks,
Rick
Last edited by sgwdev on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:31 am
Hi Rick. Sounds like you meant "increase in time for pulling...". GoZync works the same whether you're using FileMaker or SQL tables. If you're seeing a slowdown when connected to your SQL data source, that would have to be your SQL database, the server it's on, or your connection. HTH... Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:38 am
Hi Jeff,

Sorry I did mean Increase in time. Would you have any recommendations for this. We are connecting via Wifi to a hosted filemaker server 13.

It seems to be the initial connection that takes the longest.

Thanks,
Rick
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:29 am
I'm afraid I don't have any expertise regarding optimizing SQL data sources. If it's mostly upon the first connection, my guess is that it has to do with "opening" that connection to the SQL db. Sorry I don't have better guidance for you there.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:08 am
Hi Jeff,

Through further testing we have found that the delay is during the Parent - Child filtering. If we pull straight from the tables (no child) then this is fine but this eliminates the use of Parent / Child and would require our sales force downloading the whole database and not just their records.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:11 am
When you say "parent-child" filtering, are you using GoZync's built-in "related syncing" feature, where you set it up that way on the GoZyncHosted Configuration screen? Or have you implemented some filtering rules in the "Filter Records to Pull" script in your hosted file? And which table (parent or child) contains the salesperson ID?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:24 am
Hi Jeff,

Yes we are using the 'Related Syncing' feature on the configuration tab.

Our sales person id is on the Parent Table and then the child tables are linked by the Parent ID Key.

When GoZync uses the 'Related Syncing' feature is it transactional or batch to find all records?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:09 am
With related syncing you're pulling ALL child records for the found parents, whether those child records have changed or not. So there is more data coming down when you do related syncing. Also, make sure the relationship between the gzh_ tables in your hosted file isn't sorted - that could cause things to slow down too. I think the bottom line is that using the SQL data source is going to be slower. If related syncing is still unacceptably slow, you might choose to sync your tables independently instead. HTH... Jeff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:56 pm
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the update.

One final questions. We are going to use another project with FileMaker & GoZync, are we able to change the External Data Sources so that these apps are separate?

At the moment, we can re-name everything but GoZyncHosted required the name of GoZyncMobile

Thanks,
Rick
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:45 am
Your question is a little unclear but I think you're asking about renaming files and configuring deploying multiple mobile files. You can configure as many different mobile files as you like using the same GoZync files. And you can rename any of the files *except* GoZyncMobile. More about renaming files here: http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.ph ... amingFiles

Return to GoZync