10k records + performance

Help, Tips, and Tricks for deploying GoZync: our "sync" engine for FileMaker Go.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:36 am
Hi guys,
here is my scenario:

I have 20-25 tables to sync. Two (2) of these tables will only go from the Host to the mobile (they will be modified only on the host on an irregular basis). These two tables contain 10k and 150k records.

The actual performance I actually get with the 10k records table is a bit poor. I am testing without network (the mobile and hosts are opened on the same mac and use relative path) and it takes around 30 secs. Is there a way to improve the performance? This table is configured as: Pool data down.

We are expecting around 60 ipads synchronizing at the same time over wifi and I am afraid we may have issues.

Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:39 pm
Hi cotejf,

Thanks so much for reaching out. There are a few ways you could improve your sync here. First, do your mobile users need access to these thousands of records at all times? Or do they potentially only need a subset of these records? I would first recommend syncing a fewer number of records -- here's a link to our doc on pulling found sets:
http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.ph ... gFoundSets

Here's another doc on Speed in GoZync: http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.ph ... ync5.Speed

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

All the best,

Dan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:40 am
Hi,
thanks for your answer. I already read these pages but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do. The two tables are never modified on the ipad. They are never partially updated on the host, we load a brand new file into these tables.

I saw that it is easier to script it using the FM import function but I would have preferred to keep the whole logic within gz. Thanks anyway!

Have a great day,
JF
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:48 pm
JF,

Thanks for the followup -- I think I see now what you are hoping to accomplish, and I think GoZync is still an option for you here!

As another idea, you could separate these two tables into their own "data file" for use on your mobile devices alongside your mobile solution. Your mobile solution could then reference the data in this separate file, although these two tables would not be synced with the rest of your tables. When updated data is available for this file, you could upload a new "build" to GoZyncHosted, and have your users Check For Updates to install the new data file. This should be much faster than syncing 10s of thousands of records. For more on this option, check out the "Product Catalogs" section of this doc on use cases: http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.ph ... 5.UseCases

I hope this helps! Keep me posted with any other questions you may have.

Dan
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:27 am
Hi Dan,
thanks, this is what we are going to do but in another way.

I will synchronize a mobile db on the server then push it via apple configurator. That is what I am currently working on.

Thanks
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:31 pm
JF,

Sounds good. Keep me posted if you have any other questions!

All the best,
Dan

Return to GoZync