Sync Speed

Help, Tips, and Tricks for deploying GoZync: our "sync" engine for FileMaker Go.
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:55 am
I've been trying to speed up the sync process. What seems to take the longest is "Summarizing field Gz_id list of" in one table this can take upwards of 5 minutes no matter how I filter the records being pulled. Does this sound normal and if not what should I be looking for. I would think this action would occur as a PSOS because the Gz_Id list of field is in the hosted file. Is it possible my PSOS is not setup correctly. I didn't find anything addressing PSOS in your online documentation.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:43 pm
Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for reaching out here on this. Since it's taking so long to gather the list of IDs, I have a couple initial questions for you to help troubleshoot this issue.

Do you have the Perform Script "Ignore Last Time Zync" enabled for any of your table occurrences set up in the "Filter Records to Pull" script in your hosted file? And to confirm, do you use the U.S. standard date and time formats on your machine? I'm pretty sure this is the case, but I ask because differences in date/time formats -- if not addressed -- can cause all records to be pulled at each sync.

Thanks again,
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:34 pm
Hi Dan

I am not using Ignore Last Time Zync on any tables for this sync. I am using US time and date, I did clone my file as stated on this forum in another post just in case that was the cause. I am filtering the TO's using dates i.e. grabbing records 2 years old or less (Get(CurrentDate)-730). The push action and Pull action occur quickly. Its the Summarize Field action that takes a very long time. I have tried running without the filter and same result Summarize field action takes very long.

The end result is as expected, I end up with records on mobile devices that I expect to be there and Hosted file integrity remains intact. I have tried all of the suggestions listed under speed in your online documentation including switching back and forth between field level merge and converting photos to thumbnails. There may be nothing I can do to make my particular file any faster but I'm gonna try anyway.

My only thought left regarding speed was to make sure I'm using PSOS. I understand it happens automatically when it can but I'm wondering if a 1 or o in the wrong place while I was setting things up may have turned it off. What should setup look like to ensure this is working?
Psos config.PNG
screen shot of PSOS config from GZM
Psos config.PNG (67.08 KiB) Viewed 24145 times
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:24 am
Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for the additional info and screenshot. Your PSOS Config script looks good, so the issue should not be with your script setup

Do you see that "Summarizing field Gz_id list of" dialog with each table that is synced? Or only with the one table that takes a long time to summarize?

Thanks again,
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:56 am
Hi Dan

I see the gz_Id lisof field for each table. The time varies for each table, most flash quickly by. One table which of course is my biggest table (has the most fields to sync not the most records) always takes a long time to summarize. My contacts table which has minimal fields to sync will also take a long time to summarize if someone changes a contacts information or adds a new contact.

Hope this info helps
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:18 pm
Thanks Tim -- that's good to know. A few more quick questions for you based on that, and then hopefully I can be more helpful!

• Have you always seen the "Summarizing" dialog when running syncs?
  • Are your files hosted on FileMaker Server?
  • What versions of FileMaker Pro/Go and Server are you running?

Thanks again,
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:50 am
Hi again Dan

To be honest I don't recall seeing the Summarizing dialog all the time, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. Maybe I'm just noticing it now because I am focused on speeding things up for my users.

The file is Hosted on FM Server 13. My desktop is running FM ProAdvanced 13.0 V5, IPads are running Go_IPad 13.0.9,

The Summarizing Dialog on desktop during sync will show how many records it is summarizing. On IPad it just shows up at the bottom of the screen as Summarizing gz_id listof

If this does not sound normal is there another script I should be checking which may have turned off PSOS?
Sumarizing.PNG
screen shot from FM proadvanced desktop
Sumarizing.PNG (48.69 KiB) Viewed 24111 times

This shows up even if no records have been changed. This is with a round trip zync.

Regards
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:34 pm
Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for confirming those details. I have a suspicion here that your FileMaker Server's scripting engine may have stopped. Since your PSOS script looks correct, and you are seeing the "Summarize" dialog for all tables, it sounds like GoZync is unable to utilize PSOS, so it summarizes the IDs locally on the client rather than on the Server. If you restart the Server's scripting engine (through the command line, not in the Admin Console), then I would expect PSOS to work for you again, which should dramatically reduce the summarize time. Let me know if you have questions about restarting the Server's scripting engine (fmse).

Even if no changes are made in a table, GoZync still gathers the list of IDs that should be on the device -- that way, GoZync can delete records on the Mobile file that shouldn't be there. If you further filter/reduce the number of records that are synced, this should reduce that summarize time even if PSOS is not used.

I hope this helps!
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:03 pm
Thanks Dan

I had a suspicion something wasn't right somewhere. I don't know how to do what you ask. I am using a remote server for hosting the file. Is this something that can be done using FM pro or do I need to ask the Server administrator to do this?

Thanks Again
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:39 pm
Hi Dan

I had the Server Administrator reset the scripting engine through the command line. This had no apparent effect on the Summarize action. Do you normally see the Summarize action when PSOS is working whether it be fast or slow?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:44 am
Hi Tim,

Thanks for checking on that. I'm sorry that didn't do the trick! If the summarize function is taking place through Perform Script on Server, you would not see that "Summarizing" dialog.

I'm reaching out to Todd Geist here for more help on this issue, so I will follow up with directly by email.

Thanks again,
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:58 am
Hi Dan

Thanks for Getting Todd in on this. My "GoZyn Call from GZM" script was not setup properly, I must have edited this script when I moved the files to the server. Probably broke the link and lost the script call "Try PSOS" from GZH, although I didn't have any notes to reflect that I do remember a few scripts with missing data after moving the files. In any event the Syncs are lightning fast now compared to what they used to be.

Great Product and Great support, you can't beat that!!

Thanks Again
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:45 am
Awesome, Tim!

Thanks so much for letting me know. Glad that Todd was able to identify what was amiss there. I Love that getting it fixed dramatically improved your sync times!

All the best,

Dan

Return to GoZync