Can't change GoZyncHosted File Options

Help, Tips, and Tricks for deploying GoZync: our "sync" engine for FileMaker Go.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:13 am
First off, happy belated Thanksgiving! I hope you've had a restful and happy holiday.

From your GoZync Security page:

GoZyncHosted doesn't have any file references to your hosted solution (your "mothership" files) but it does contain your configuration instructions, so you don't want just any user messing around in there. We've created two privilege sets in GoZyncHosted: "Administrator" and "Sync". Administrator lets you admin licenses and devices, and and "Sync" is a lower level access that lets users sync but not change the sync settings. We recommend you default GoZyncHosted to the sync privilege set, and then log in as an administrator user when you want to make changes to the sync settings.
To do this, open GoZyncHosted and run the script "Manage File Options" from FileMaker's Scripts menu (you'll need to be logged in as an administrator). The under the "Open" tab, enter the default Account and Password for the "Sync" privilege set: both of which are "Sync":

I've logged in as administrator but I'm unable to make these changes. I keep getting the "Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action" error. Right now anyone can see our configuration files; I'd love to prevent this.

Thanks,

Peter
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:37 am
Hi Peter,

Sorry you're having a hard time with this: I wish it were simple to "partially lock down" a FileMaker file. =) Here's a video showing how I perform the instructions above: https://seedcodevideos.s3.amazonaws.com ... kmu3fx.mp4

If that's not helping or I've misunderstood and you'd like to make some other security changes, please send me an email at support at seedcode.com and we can take a look at your setup.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:21 am
Hi John,

Thanks for the quick response and helpful video. My mistake, I skimmed the "run the script "Manage File Options" from FileMaker's Scripts menu" part of it and kept trying to modify via FileMaker's built-in File Options... menu.

I've done as instructed and I've also disabled the auto-login feature. Is there a safe way to prevent the Sync account from opening up the Configuration screen automatically on login?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:32 am
Awesome, Peter. Thanks for letting me know.

You can't edit most of the scripts in GoZyncHosted, so the normal ways of having the Sync account go to another layout won't work.

You can, however, edit the Configuration layout. And since the Sync account can't get into layout mode, you could do something as simple as moving the interesting parts of the Config layout outside the layout bounds, leaving visible something that looks more like a splash screen. Then, when you need to make changes, you could come in with your Administrator account, move the good stuff back into focus, and make your changes before hiding it again.

=)
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:47 am
John Sindelar wrote:Awesome, Peter. Thanks for letting me know.

You can't edit most of the scripts in GoZyncHosted, so the normal ways of having the Sync account go to another layout won't work.

You can, however, edit the Configuration layout. And since the Sync account can't get into layout mode, you could do something as simple as moving the interesting parts of the Config layout outside the layout bounds, leaving visible something that looks more like a splash screen. Then, when you need to make changes, you could come in with your Administrator account, move the good stuff back into focus, and make your changes before hiding it again.

=)

Then that's what I'll do. :D

Thanks again for your responsiveness during the holidays. Much appreciated!

Peter

Return to GoZync