Adding new tables to GoZync

Help, Tips, and Tricks for deploying GoZync: our "sync" engine for FileMaker Go.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:52 am
Hi everyone,

I'm new on here and I've come looking for some assistance with releasing new mobile files with additional tables to sync.

I want to release a new mobile file with additional tables all while avoiding the catch 22 scenario for our FM GO users. We have a large field force and getting them all to agree that they wont add new jobs after I release an update just isn't going to work.

Can I release an update but point the new mobile file to a new version of GoZyncHosted? Can someone talk me through this and if it is possible what do I need to change?

Many thanks,
Simon
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:10 am
HI Simon,

You can use a new version of GoZyncHosted and that's a pretty cool approach. You can also rename GoZyncMobile so you're essentially shipping a new app that the user could even download and use along side their current app (ideally, before deleting the current/old version).

So you'd rename these files--GoZynHosted, GoZyncMobile, and your mobile files--but leave your hosted data file(s) the same. On your server you'd have two copies of GoZyncHosted, both pointing to the same data files.

When you're ready to shut down the old files on the server, you still need to communicate this to your work force: "Hey, we're closing the old file, make sure you've synced any orders you still have in there." But presumably they have some other incentive to sync in a timely fashion (commission / bonuses) besides keeping their developer happy ;-)

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:55 am
Hi John,

Many thanks for your reply. I am in the process of adding a new solution that uses gozync onto our server. I want to keep this solution completely separate from the existing databases that use gozynchosted.

I have renamed gozyncmobile and gozynchosted but when pressing the refresh & check for errors I am getting the error: It doesn't look like GoZyncMobile is open. Please pen that and all synced files before continuing.

I have GozyncMobile open but its not called GozyncMobile. How do I inform GoZyncHosted of the new file name?

Many thanks,
Simon
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:11 am
Hi Simon,

You can find our documentation on the steps required to rename the GoZyncMobile file here: https://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.p ... amingFiles

If you're not up to GoZync version 5.08, you'll need to follow the instructions listed on our version history page to get your files updated first, then you can continue renaming the GoZyncMobile file: https://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.p ... ionHistory

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

KC

Return to GoZync