Sync, then records deleted on iPad

Help, Tips, and Tricks for deploying GoZync: our "sync" engine for FileMaker Go.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:26 pm
I have three iPads and three users that are using a solution that has for the past 2 months been working fine.

On two of the devices, the solution works as expected, no matter who is logged in.

On one of the iPads, no matter which user is logged in, some tables have all their records removed following a sync, thought the 'pull' record count looks good.

Steps taken so far...
Clicked 'reset' in GZM. Resulted in a large download, and the same tables were empty of records at the end of the sync.

Using iTunes, grabbed a copy of the three solution files from iPad 1 (that is working correctly):- GZM, MobileData and MobileInterface files.

Deleted the 3 solution files from problem iPad 2 and using iTunes copied the known good files to it. Logged in as user 'A', synced, same tables empty of records. Rinse and repeat for user 'B' and 'C' - same result.

Copied the know good files to iPad three, performed a sync and no issues seen.

The only odd thing I've seen is that at one point GoZync ran out of licenses. It looked like user 'A' had three entries with three variations on their user name - I'm not sure why as I'm not aware of making any changes... This particular user is the normal user of the problem iPad

Would you have any suggestions of where I should look for the cause of the problem? Seems it's iPad specific, though I have deleted FMG 16, and reinstalled it.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:31 am
Hi Paul, I like the troubleshooting steps you've taken so far: swapping out the files would have been my recommendation too. I can make two suggestions:

1. When it comes to licenses, log into GoZyncHosted as an administrator and clear out the users. Ths is what you'd do if you bought all new iPads and it will begin the process of assigning licenses to devices again. (More on how this works here: https://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.p ... ingDevices) If this is a licensing issue, that should clear it up.

2. If the users on the three iPads have different access privileges, that could be the issue. Log into the offending iPad as one of the working users and see if it works for them. If it does, then it sounds like your offending user doesn't have access to some of the records they need.

Let me know if neither of these two help and I'll ask Todd Geist, our co-author on GoZync, to see what he thinks.

Sincerely yours,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:35 pm
Hi John,

Thank you for your response.

When GoZync ran out of licenses, I went to GZH and deleted the older instances of the devices in the list that had similar user names. The problem was still apparent after doing this.

I don't think it's an access privilege issue because all three users can log in and sync correctly on iPads 1 and 3. It's just iPad 2 that has the problem.

This morning I tried a previous version of the mobile solution file and matching GZM on iPad 2 - same issue...

Is there something in GZH that might cause this to happen for a specific iPad?

Kind regards,

Paul
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:44 pm
> Is there something in GZH that might cause this to happen for a specific iPad?

No, Paul. GZH doesn't treat iPads different but lets FMP treat logged in users differently. Glad you reset the licenses; bummer that didn't work. I'm going to ask Todd about this and will send you an email shortly.

Thanks for the followup.

- John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:38 am
Hi John,

Sorry to bug you - has Todd been able to have a look at this?

I appreciate that it could well not be a GoZync issue, but with your in depth knowledge of all things iPad and zync, I was hoping you might have an insight as to where the root cause might lie :-)

Cheers,
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:49 pm
Hi Paul,

I'm checking with Todd and John on this.

Thanks!
-Jason

Return to GoZync