Alternative DayBack Printing Method

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:41 am
DayBack user Robert Parker told us about a really cool alternative method for printing your DayBack calendar view. It uses the "copy from Preview Mode" FileMaker trick, but with a couple of twists. Robert wanted to accomplish three things: reduce the point size of the text (for aesthetic purposes, and to show more events per day), make the buttons disappear (Day, Month, Week, etc.), and add his company logo.

His script first navigates to a different layout where the calendar webviewer is four times its original size (to effectively reduce the text size to 1/4), then it runs the Copy step from there (after Print Setup, Pause and Preview). The script then goes to another layout which is set up for printing on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, and includes the container field where the contents of the clipboard can be pasted, as well as some white rectangles strategically placed to make the calendar buttons disappear and another container field showing a company logo. That container field is positioned to consider the print margins of the output device. The script then applies the desired Zoom Level, Print Setup and prints the layout.

Nice work, Robert!
Attachments
robert_parker_2.png
The layout
robert_parker_2.png (150.49 KiB) Viewed 11188 times
robert_parker_1.png
The script
robert_parker_1.png (343.81 KiB) Viewed 11188 times
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:21 am
Here's a screenshot of the web viewer that I used to take the snapshot of the "Big" calendar. It's 22 x 17 inches - double the horizontal and double the vertical measurements of a standard piece of paper:

Big.jpg
Big.jpg (205.91 KiB) Viewed 11048 times

Once I've got a picture of this on my clipboard I then move to a different layout and paste it into a container field that's the size of a normal piece of paper (and place the logo where I want while blocking out the unwanted "stuff" as well). The size of this container on this layout can be adjusted to best suit whatever printer you ultimately use to adjust for different margins, etc.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:03 am
Excellent, Robert! Thanks for posting this script for others to use; much appreciated! =)
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker