Event Overlap

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:36 pm
Does anyone know if there is a way to minimize (narrow) the overlapped items in the schedule grid in order to prioritize space for the item that lays on top? my client often has multiple cancelled appointments underneath scheduled appointments and the info for the scheduled appointments on top gets shorted because the overlapping is being done on an equal percentage basis: 3 items in the same space share the width of the column, each at 33% width. this wouldn't be a problem if they didn't view 16 resources at a time, but such is the nature of their business (the resources are their therapists...and they have a lot of 'em working on the same day).

Can this be controlled in CSS?

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

Eugene
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:32 am
Hi Eugene,

Thanks for reaching out here. As you already mentioned in your other post, you could filter the calendar to hide cancelled events, and also allow event overlapping.

As of now, using the Status filter does not cause event widths to resize, although using an "Advanced Filter" does. In case cancelled events do not need to appear on the calendar at all, you could hard-code a filter in the "Event Find" script, so that cancelled events are always filtered out (and therefore do not crowd the calendar).

Also note that the $$sc_PreventEventOverlap variable set in the "Load Calendar Settings - On Startup" script is reversed. Use a value of "True" here to allow event overlap.

All the best,
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:49 pm
Thanks for the reply. Any pointers on how to hard-code filtering 'cancelled' events in the Event Find script?

Thanks in advance,

Eugene
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:21 pm
Hi Eugene,

Sure thing. I've attached a screenshot of a possible modification to the Event Find script. It is easier to omit records after the initial find is completed, so I've added a Constrain Found Set step (set to Omit Records), after the section we have labelled for hard-coded filters.

You could also wrap the calculations of your DBk_TimestampStartCalcNum and DBk_TimestampEndCalcNum fields in a Case statement, so that these fields calculate to empty if the event Status is "cancelled". That way, these events will be excluded from the find (without modifying the Event Find script).

I hope that helps. Keep us posted with any other questions.

All the best,
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 4.13.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 4.13.07 PM.png (346.81 KiB) Viewed 10589 times
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:40 pm
thanks! that worked great.

another thing: i need a way to allow complete overlap, so events are not narrowed. my client has long events like 'unavailable' or 'blocked' that show when a therapist is generally unavailable, but they still schedule appointments on top. this probably wouldn't be an issue if they didn't need to see all 18 resources at once, but such is the nature of their business...

any ideas?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:39 am
Hi Eugene,

Glad to hear that worked for you!

Regarding the overlapping events, unfortunately, this cannot be additionally modified. I know you have already suggested viewing fewer resources at once (the resources can then be paged through using the left and right arrows), but it sounds like that is not an option. Is the calendar sidebar also collapsed to have the calendar fill the entire window?

The only other thought I have here is using the Resource List view when necessary. The events are stacked in order, rather than placed on a schedule time grid. That way, events do not overlap at all. I hope that helps.

All the best,

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker