Limiting View to Only User's Own Calendar

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:44 pm
On startup, what's the best method to limit the events shown to only those of the user who is logged in? I'd also like to auto-populate new events to that user.

I've tried using a pre filter but when a new event is created, the resource list in the side panel is blank. .
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:31 am
Great question here.

The doc at this link discusses in detail how you could use filters (pre or hard-coded) or Privilege Sets to show only the events for the logged in user. However, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the resource list in the side panel is blank" when using a pre-filter, so please let me know if you have any questions about these options.

http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.ph ... eeMyEvents

Are your users assigned to events as the event Resource? To auto-populate events for a user, you could modify the "Create Edit Delete Event" script, so that, when creating a new event, you set the Resource field for the logged in user. Note that when creating a new event in the popover, the Resource field will not appear populated until saving the event (which triggers the "Create Edit Delete Event" script).

I hope that helps. Keep me posted if you have other questions on this!

All the best,
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:02 pm
A follow up to this. I'm still having a problem.

What my client wants is to be able to see a calendar with only each user's appointments based on the login. That I can accomplish by filtering, but when I do that, I'm unable to see any other users to add them to an appointment. The resource list in the drawer is limited to whatever has been filtered.

So if I filter so that only Bob's appointments are shown, when Bob goes to create a new appointment, only his name is shown. He can't add Mary or Bill.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:41 am
DayBack's filter for Resources is designed to also filter the Resources that appear on the calendar (in the Resource views, and in the list of Resources on the event popover), not just filter the events that appear on the calendar.

Since you'd like to filter for the logged in user/resource, but not limit the Resources available in the calendar, you could use a "hidden" filter to accomplish this. Rather than pre-filtering by resource, you could add your own find requirements to the "Event Find" script. For more on this type of filtering, see this same link, under the heading "Hard-coding a hidden filter":

http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.ph ... er.Filters

Let me know if that helps!

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker