Modifying Event popup edit panel

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:05 am
Hi,

I have a custom field to display on the calendar event popup, which is actually a calculated sum of 3 separate custom number fields I have added to the Events table. The custom field displays fine now, but I'd like to be able to edit the individual number fields right from the event popup "edit panel". It doesn't seem like there is any way to do this, can you confirm if that is true or not?

I know that I can add these to the Event Detail layout, but doing that will be an extra step in the workflow that it would be nice to avoid. This solution manages hayrides, and the 3 number fields represent adults and children in the group.

Let me know if you need more info, thanks!

Rick
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:04 pm
Hi Rick,

Thanks for reaching out to us here. Interesting question. To confirm, you're using a calculated field to display 3 fields in the event popover's "description" text field, is that correct?

Since additional fields cannot be added to the popover, one solution for this type of problem is to bypass the popover all together, and open the clicked-on event in the event details layout in a new window. It sounds like you've already considered this option, but let me know if you'd like more info on this. Here's a link with some more details: http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.ph ... entLayouts

Another possibility might be to take the value that is entered into the popover's description field and parse it into the 3 fields that you're building the calculation with. This should be possible by editing the "Create Edit Delete Event..." script, but it would probably be tricky to get right, and account for your users entering unexpected values.

I hope this helps. Keep me posted if you have other questions!

All the best,
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:59 am
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the quick response. Actually I was repurposing the "project" field as that isn't relevant in this solution. I will review your additional help link and see what I think. I hadn't though about the "parsing one field into 3" option but I don't think it will work in this case, and agree it it could be problematic.

My next question was going to be "how hard is it to add 2 more fields to popover, so that I could just have all 3 fields displayed for editing", but am guessing that is probably non-trivial...

We will see how the client feels about this issue....

rA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:36 am
Looks like the "use your own layout" option is the way to go here, thanks again Dan!

rA
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:35 am
Hi Rick,

I definitely agree that the option to use your own FileMaker layout is the way to go in this case.That way, you can add any and all fields you need to edit records for this calendar source. Keep me posted if you have any questions as you get this implemented.

All the best,
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:40 pm
Hi Dan-

How does the separate layout ( in a different window ) approach work in WebDirect? The code would need to know not to create a new window in this case, right?

rA
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:41 pm
Hi Rick,

You likely know this, but just to be clear, DayBack for FileMaker doesn't work in WebDirect so there is not direct corollary. DayBack Online--which does work in WebDirect--*does* have a very similar option to using your own layout.

In DayBack Online you can configure "Event Actions" that fire when you click on an event (or when you edit or delete one). You can create an event action that goes to your FileMaker layout in WebDirect using the imp:// url These actions are set up in the Source Setup of DayBack Online and are pretty self explanatory.

The only downside is that WebDirect will want you to log in again when you fire an fmp:// url from within the webviewer *even* when you're already logged into the file. This is a bug in WebDirect but I'm not sure when they plan to fix it as it's persisted at least through one v rev already.

As with DayBack for FIleMaker you'd also have the option of using a Custom Action to jump to your own layout: this would let you preview the event in the web viewer popover then click a button in the action drawer to jump to your own layout if you needed access to the additional fields--this might work better in WebDirect as it would stop you from running into this (very annoying) relogin bug unless you really needed to get to that layout.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:34 pm
Thanks for the info John, and the clarification, it had been awhile since I looked at this and had forgotten about the distinction. Hopefully the relogin bug will be fixed in the near future...the client is evaluating their options and we will see which way they want to go...

Rick
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:20 am
Sounds good, Rick. Thanks!
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:33 am
After searching & watching the relevant DayBack youtube tutorials I came across this thread here. My previous solution (in SC Cal Pro) used a heavily-customized Event layout. I had data entry fields & drop-downs with Customer, Site, etc.

I gather from this thread that it is not possible to easily alter the DayBack event pop-up (other than through the very limited prescriptive method to hide specific field(s).

Can you go into a bit more detail explaining *why* it's not possible to heavily customize & edit the event pop-up? In the end I will resort to using the separate Event Details layout as a substitute but I am curious to understand better.
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:55 am
rowanning wrote:After searching & watching the relevant DayBack youtube tutorials I came across this thread here. My previous solution (in SC Cal Pro) used a heavily-customized Event layout. I had data entry fields & drop-downs with Customer, Site, etc.

I gather from this thread that it is not possible to easily alter the DayBack event pop-up (other than through the very limited prescriptive method to hide specific field(s).

Can you go into a bit more detail explaining *why* it's not possible to heavily customize & edit the event pop-up? In the end I will resort to using the separate Event Details layout as a substitute but I am curious to understand better.

I think I've answered my own question with further research. The calendar grid & popover are coded in Javascript, & the JS source code is not available to SC Dayback end users, therefore there is no way to edit the popovers other than with the exposed hooks in the script, and/or (thankfully!) to disable it entirely & use a Filemaker-native layout.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:41 pm
That's right. We're rolling out more and more options for customizing that popover, but if you want to *really* get in there and design your own layout it's best to select the FileMaker layout option. Thanks for asking about this!
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:20 pm
John Sindelar wrote:That's right. We're rolling out more and more options for customizing that popover, but if you want to *really* get in there and design your own layout it's best to select the FileMaker layout option. Thanks for asking about this!

Thank you for continuing to consider & accommodate people who need to do heavily-customized Event layouts. This is a make-break feature for me, if it was not in DayBack I would have to go back to SC Cal or to some entirely other calendaring solution. As you continue to develop DayBack please continue to provide alternate methods to expose functionality &/or enable customizations that can't be touched within the JS / Webviewer environment.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:33 pm
You got it! We love that folks can jump out and use a FileMaker layout instead of our popover. That's very important to us. And we'll make more customizations available IN the popover for folks who can't use FileMaker layouts (because they're in a browser, or in Google calendar, for example).

Thanks again.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker