window z-order issue

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:27 pm
Hi All,

I'm using my own event layout when viewing calendar events. On that layout is a button/link that opens another window, showing a linked-chart. The problem is that the event window wants to stay on top and won't get out of the way unless I close the window. Is there a way to manipulate the z-order so the linked chart opens on top?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:05 am
Hi, The trick it to change the window type of your new window. In your new window script step, open the dialog where you specify the window name and position. In the lower left corner you'll see a checkbox to specify and "advanced document style" (I'd have said "window type"). Check that and select "Floating Document Window".

The window you've opened to show the event is a "Floating Document Window" and one of their properties is that they "stay in front". So you need to apply that property as well to any window you'd like to cover it. Note that users can't change the "stack order" of these windows: so your event will always be on top of the calendar and your new chart will always be on top of the event.

If you want users to be able to bring windows in front of each other you could alter the original window type by editing the script "Draw New Event Window ( Name )" and unchecking the "Floating Document Window" option there.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:10 pm
Thanks John,

I modified the "Draw New Event Window..." script to make new windows of the 'normal' type, instead of the 'floating' type.

Thanks for the tip!

Eugene

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker