error on opening but only for 'other' users

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:42 am
i get an undeclared error (from the script error script) from 'load source settings at startup...', but only when logged in as any other user other than me (full access user). clicking 'ok' resumes the script without apparent problems, but it's really irritating. there's no error message. i hate to leave it at 'just click OK and you'll be fine', it's kind of a bad user experience...any ideas?
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:31 am
okay, so the deal is that i've chosen to link-integrate instead of embed-integrate because the calendar is loading patient sessions from two different files. one file is the 'main' clinic, the other is a 'satellite' clinic and the users aren't the same for both locations - everyone is a user in the 'main' clinic but only a subset of all the users works at the 'satellite'. if both files - but most importantly the 'satellite' clinic (as source no 2) - are opened prior to opening the calendar, it loads without errors. i'm not sure why i don't get errors even when i don't have the satellite file open...that's a separate mystery. i guess i could just script the opening of the satellite file if it isn't already open before opening the calendar, but the catch is that not everyone using the calendar is going to have a login for the satellite file. that means i'll have to add all the filemaker users to the satellite file, an idea i'm not totally crazy about.

any ideas? is there a different approach i'm not seeing?

Thanks,

Eugene
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:05 am
Hi Eugene,

Thanks for reaching out here, and for following up with those additional details. I think you've hit the nail on the head. Since some of your users do not have access to the second file, I think that is causing errors when DayBack's opening scripts run. Even if DayBack doesn't directly open your second source file, FileMaker may open it because the scripts contain references to that file.

If you'd rather not add other user accounts to the second file, you might try adding an auto-login account for that second file with very limited access. If the account used to log into DayBack doesn't have a match in the second file, the auto-login account should be used to log in to that file. I think this should resolve that mystery error, if that is the error's source!

I would suggest testing with changes to accounts/privilege sets in an offline copy of your files to avoid unexpectedly affecting live users.

I hope that helps!
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:52 am
Thanks Dan,

That did the trick. I added a check to see if the other database was open and open it using a limited-access login before we run Upon Opening. No more script error on launch: Mission Accomplished.

The schedulers generally have both files open first, so all of this isn't really needed for them, it's more for those users who work only in one location or the other and have no desire (or ability) to login to the other location's file and don't want to hear 'just click the OK button when you get an error'. I received a funny suggestion which was to just reword the error message and have it say something like "You look nice today, please press OK". i gave it strong consideration.

Thankfully,

Eugene
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:37 am
Glad to hear that helped, Eugene.

Thanks for letting me know. I kind of like that "You look nice today, please press OK" idea. I wouldn't mind having FileMaker tell me that every morning =)

All the best,

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker